Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning Black Algae!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Cleaning Black Algae!

After dismissing my pool service! (YAY) I need to get things right! I have some Black algae in some of my tile grout lines and around the top of the tile! Unlike a freeform pool, mine has thirteen ninety degree corners that need to be cleaned! I thought that talking to the experts prior to going to the pool supply store would be my best course of action! Any advice on which kind of a brush and cleaning solution would be appreciated! The good news is other than that, my pool sparkles!

Thank You in advance,
    Bob Huston-Davenport,Fla.
    13,000 Gal-14'x30'-IG-4'-5' Depth-Plaster-Hayward Ecostar V.S.Pump-Hayward C-1750 filter-SWG PS4/w T-9 Salt Cell-Hayward Heat Pump-Spa W/fountain!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning Black Algae!

Hi Bob! Before you go to the store, arm yourself with this page: Pool School - Black Algae. It outlines some good treatment options for BA. Hope this helps. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

How wide are the grout lines? Mine were 1/8 and the best thing for me to use was undiluted clorox and a toothbrush.....done from within the pool with the toothbrush in one hand and a cold one in the other.

If your grout lines are wider, a toothbrush might not be the best applicator.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Apparently I've been doing my pool maintenance incorrectly. Time to work on my skills.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for responding! I read the article, and thank goodness the problem is above the water level on the grout lines! I'll give the BBT treatment a try! (beer, bleach, and a toothbrush!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for responding! Well, no need to go to the store! Got the beer, got the bleach and the toothbrush! My grout lines are the same width as yours, so I'm off to the pool! Luckily my issue is above the water level and the plaster is unaffected! Your advice is much appreciated as always!
    13,000 Gal-14'x30'-IG-4'-5' Depth-Plaster-Hayward Ecostar V.S.Pump-Hayward C-1750 filter-SWG PS4/w T-9 Salt Cell-Hayward Heat Pump-Spa W/fountain!