Algae or Oak Pollen

WalterE

Bronze Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Little Rock, AR
Yesterday, my pool was a perfect sparkling light blue. Measured my free chlorine at 4. Yesterday a set of thunderstorms came through and the pool immediately turned green. I have a lot of oak trees around the pool and earlier and suspect that the green pollen that falls from the oak trees looks suspiciously like algea. It takes a while for the filter to filter out the pollen.

I'm not sure about this one. It happened so fast and the water looked so good just before. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I don't particularly want to purchase dozens of bottles of unnecessary chlorine unless needed.

Thanks

You say that your FC was at 4 yesterday..... have you tested your levels yet today? Posting your test results along with a picture or two would help steer you in the right direction.

A good piece of advice I learned from here was running a skimmer sock (aka hair net) when i find extra debris or heavy loads of pollen. Found here...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002XK2FS0/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I agree with you, try retesting your levels and running the pump to filter out anything and see what happens before heading down the SLAM route.

Good advice every one. My FC had apparently dropped to zero during the thunderstorm. Now I'm thinking Algea. My CYA is 75. I've had 2 pool drains to get it to 75 (vinyl lining allows only 50% drain). I have been planning a 3rd drain to get it below 40.

I have started the drain. Will probably add liquid chlorine when it gets to 50% to start the slam and then add more as it fills up. Any additional advice is appreciated. I did have the Oak pollen earlier in the year and that is what sent me in the wrong direction.

What is it about thunder storms that cause this problem?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.