Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does adding borates and acid impact FC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does adding borates and acid impact FC?

I'm curious if the addition of all the acid and borates dropped my FC. My FC last night was 5.0 and it was also 5.0 this morning. After adding roughly 12 boxes of Borax and 3.5 gallons of acid, I just noticed that my FC is 0.5. These are the most recent test results and the only difference now is the FC is 0.5.

FC = 5.0 (usually around 3.0 with SWG, but added bleach b/c we had a bunch of kids in the pool)
    CC - 0.0
    pH = 7.4
    TA = 70
    CYA = 75
    Salt = 3400
    CH = 325
    Borates = 50
    Phosphates = 5,000
    Jack's Seq-Quest = 12
    15K gallon gunite pool and spa spillover - medium gray plaster, 2.5HP Hayward pump, Cartridge filter, Goldline Aquarite SWG, Jandy RS8, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Does adding borates and acid impact FC?

No, raising borates doesn't normally have any impact on the current FC level. Long term borates should reduce your chlorine demand somewhat.

You don't normally lose any chlorine overnight, while you do normally lose FC during the day. Still, with a SWG and correct CYA level, that loss should be mostly replaced by the SWG.

I have no idea what happened. Do be sure to add some extra chlorine to get your FC level back up to normal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School