Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: attic pex heat?

1. Back To Top    #1

attic pex heat?

Hi, I'm new to TFP thanks for having me. Here's my problem. Heat is expensive, I'm very close to running 1,000 feet of 1" pex in my attic for heat in spring. Minnesota is not favorable for swimming in late April. I will not do solar or radiator type heat. ANY thoughts or help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    28,000 gallon pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: attic pex heat?

Welcome to TFP!

Good luck! I've never heard of anything like that. Should be interesting to see if it works.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

There are some commercial systems that do something similar.

I have to wonder though if you would add more heat to the pool having the pex (or poly) laying out in the sun or in a warm attic.
    I think you are going to be disappointed in the impact on your pool.

The problem is that when the attic is the warmest is often when you do not need to add heat to the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

So just to be clear you plan to run the pool water post filter through 1000 ft of pec coiled in the attic which will pick up the heat from below. The water would then run into the pool.

Is that the plan?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

With the low delta T between the air temp and water,and the low thermal transfer of pex I doubt you will see any heat gain. In fact, with the cool temps we see up north overnight any minor gain will be given up to evaporation. Another concern also might be the risk of condensation in the attic if the dew-point between the pex and the air temp in the attic get to the right point. This will introduce a lot of excess moisture into your attic
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Last thing I want is a bunch of coiled up water pipe in my ATTIC! Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Not sure if you know exactly how much heat there is in the attic or not. It just so happens I've been monitoring my attic and crawlspace for the last couple months to determine which is the more appropriate storage location. My attic runs about 30 degrees warmer than the ambient but only on sunny days. Today it's cloudy and there's no temperature difference. There's also essentially no difference at night. I can't comment on whether pex running thru that space would pick up enough heat to be meaningful. I have heard that heat pumps generally have about a 30 degree delta, so that MAY be comparable but I couldn't tell you for sure.

Regardless of all that, as someone else already mentioned... putting 1000 ft of water filled pex in your attic seems like a potentially very dangerous thing regarding failure modes. If the pex develops a leak or breaks, its going to wreck, at the very least, your ceiling. The benefit of a roof setup vs attic setup is your roof is already designed to shed water. if something failed on the OUTSIDE of your roof, it wouldn't be great in that it would drain your pool, but it isn't also going to flood your house.

I wouldn't be shocked to hear that homeowners insurance isn't going to pay to fix anything from a pool heater attic induced flood.
    18 x 36 Vinyl Inground, Coverstar Cover, 2 speed Pentair Pump, Hayward 425 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter, Hayward Heat Pump, Prologic PS8, T-15 Salt Cell, 2 Colorlogic LED lights, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Last thing I want is a bunch of coiled up water pipe in my ATTIC! Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
    Yet, a lot of houses in Texas have their water heaters up there
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump