Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to TFP, Nashville, TN

1. Back To Top    #1

New to TFP, Nashville, TN

Hello all. I am new to TFP but been in a house with a pool for the last 12 years and have honestly hated every summer because of the pool. Nothing like dumping time and money into something and not being happy. I really hope to join the world of Trouble Free Pools since I have been hanging out in the world of Trouble Filled Pools. Ordering a test kit now.
    33K, IG, vinyl liner, 15 years old (??), 20x40, 3-8 feet deep, Hayward pump 1.5 HP, Hayward S240 sand filter (300 lbs of sand), Dolphin Triton robotic cleaner, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to TFP, Nashville, TN

Welcome Rocket50!

If you haven't already, head over to pool school and get some knowledge. It will make your pool experience much easier to know in advance what to expect when you get your test kit.

I just started with this stuff but I have been at it for about a month prior to joining here. It really works. Check out my other post if you want to see what can be done without a properly functioning filter, just chemical balancing!

I may not be quite qualified yet but welcome to TFP!
    14000g freeform gunite/plaster IG pool with raised spa. Hayward HCF302 Commercial 30inch 650lb sand filter with pool sand and pea gravel base, two 2hp Hayward Northstar pumps circa 2003 model SP4000Z1. One pump dedicated to the roaring waterfall and two skinny waterfall lip things. Pool built in 2003, all equipment is original except the sand filter. Replastered April 2016. Hand built test kit with Taylor reagents, new 2016.

3. Back To Top    #3

Outstanding! Kit on order. Woo! Welcome to TFP! Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Rocket! I SO feel your pain! I hated the pool before I found TFP! SO much work and never could really enjoy it as there was always something it needed . I was SO pool stored that it ruined the liner! When the liner went I took the whole thing down and said NO more! LOL Welllllll hubby waited a little while then said he wanted another pool. I told him that IF he could find a way for me to take care of the pool withOUT the pool store we could think about. He did a quick search and found TFP! Look at me now! LOL I am mod of a *gasp* pool forum and LOVE my pool now! hehe

I bought the test kit BEFORE I even bought the pool to make sure I could do it. It IS fun and easy!

Let us know when your test kit gets there. Until then do some reading in the pool school area.

we got ya and it will oh so much easier now.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome.

Your pool doesn't look like this, does it? I mean, being in Nashville and all...

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

That's my kind of pool.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. No Richard320, that is not what my pool looks like! Very cool pool though!
    33K, IG, vinyl liner, 15 years old (??), 20x40, 3-8 feet deep, Hayward pump 1.5 HP, Hayward S240 sand filter (300 lbs of sand), Dolphin Triton robotic cleaner, TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Test kit arrived today. Read some articles and now familiarizing myself with the test kit. Got the speed stir as well.

9. Back To Top    #9

Outstanding! Don't keep us waiting too long. We live for test numbers.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Anticipation !
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow! You guys are kinda crazy! Here goes. CL 1, pH 7.5, FC 1, CC 1, TC 2, CH 200, TA 100-110? (The color changed to red but then back to blue. Put in another drop and it did the same thing so 10 or 11 drops.), CYA 100. Thoughts and recommendations? I have a chlorine feeder but it doesn't seem to be working very well this year so I think my chlorine is down.

13. Back To Top    #13

Good morning Rocket50! Not sure which test kit you ordered, but for the TF-100, here is a CYA dilution test you can do to try and narrow-down exactly how much over 100 your CYA is:
    CYA Dilution Testing:
    Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
    Add tap water to top of sticker.
    Shake.
    Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
    Add reagent to top of sticker.
    Shake.
    Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
    Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
    Double the result.

You must lower that excessive CYA first before trying to do anything else. It's that important. Keep us posted.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I see you mention a chlorine feeder, but I'm wondering what type. Is it liquid or solid/granular?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

Got home too late to test CYA in sunlight. Does that matter? Best way to reduce CYA is dumping water? How much?

Hayward automatic chlorinator with 3 inch silk tabs.

16. Back To Top    #16

So are these numbers normal after doing the pool shop for so long?

17. Back To Top    #17

Your first test in post #12? Yes, high CYA is very common for people who relied on pool store advice and products.

18. Back To Top    #18

So any idea how much H2O needs to be dumped to get a better balance? Seems like if it needs to be down to 30-50 I would need to dump at least 50% of the pool.

19. Back To Top    #19

If the CYA actually is 100, yes, a 50% exchange would lower it to 50. But remember that a CYA at 100 "might" actually be a little more. So don't be too disappointed if your CYA is slightly elevated after the first attempt. First & foremost, I always like to remind everyone to be cautious of the water level and don't drain too much at one time to avoid compromising the pool structure or liner.

20. Back To Top    #20

I know. That makes me nervous. The problem is if I don't just pump to waste without filling up, I will have to just continue to dilute and will use much more water.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast