Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG does not seem to be generating- algae issue as well.

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG does not seem to be generating- algae issue as well.

We live in Northern CA and just opened up our pool after winter. We had to drain it many times (probably half the water) over the winter due to excessive rain. Our salt level read around 1500 so I added three bags of salt very slowly over the past 7-10 days. As of today it is now reading 2900. However during this process I noticed what looked like mustard algae on the steps of the pool. We brushed the pool completely a couple times and shocked it.
    Today I started the SWG and after running for around 8 hours, it still says we have zero FC. Here are the other numbers:

PH: 6.8
    TA: 40
    CYA: 40

I know my PH and TA are low. Is the low FC related to this? Or does this seem to be an issue with the SWG...or both?

Funny though, the water has never looked better.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
    Rgds,
    Dominick (Inground Pool Newbie)
    650 sq/ft - 20k gallons
    Free-Form Gunite with Granite Ansylbrite Finish
    40 sq/ft 18' raised spa
    Jandy DE60 filter
    Jandy Aquapure 1400
    Jandy Aqua link PDA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG does not seem to be generating- algae issue as well.

Which test kit are you using to get these numbers?

Have you read Pool School and about how to care for your water?

If ever you're not getting FC from your SWG, or its turned off, use liquid chlorine (household bleach is fine as long as its unscented, not the splashless type or the outdoor stuff) and bring your FC up quickly so you avoid algae taking hold.

We need accurate test results: FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA

Thanks
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Low PH and low TA have nothing to do with the SWG. If anything SWG typically cause PH to rise.

Algae is caused by low chlorine levels. Chlorine needs to be maintained at target level for your CYA at all times, Chlorine CYA Chart

You need to SLAM to kill the algae. Here's how, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Here is the Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the direction. I will start the SLAM process and just ordered the TFtest kits. I was using the AquaCheck strips...I know, I know.
    Rgds,
    650 sq/ft - 20k gallons
    40 sq/ft 18' raised spa
    Jandy DE60 filter
    Jandy Aquapure 1400
    Jandy Aqua link PDA

5. Back To Top    #5

Well you are "forgiven" since you have ordered a good test kit. For now see if you can find the little hth 6 way test kit some Walmarts sell. It will help you get your PH in line for your SLAM. Add 1/2 gal of plain, unscented, no extras bleach until you test kit there and we can get good numbers.

Can you please add your location? it really does help us help you as each area has different "problems" with it.

we got ya and your pool will look better than it has ever looked before!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

We are in Northern California near Sacramento. Our water is very hard here. That is another issue we struggle with. I will post my numbers as soon as I get the kit. Thanks again!
    Rgds,
    650 sq/ft - 20k gallons
    40 sq/ft 18' raised spa
    Jandy DE60 filter
    Jandy Aquapure 1400
    Jandy Aqua link PDA

7. Back To Top    #7

If you add your location in your profile it will show up over there <------ in every post.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

AquaPure salt level needs to be 3000-3500 to work correctly as well. Will need to add some salt after confirming with kit that system isn't reading way off.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source