Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Test

1. Back To Top    #1

New Test

I have the TF test kit and have used it for years- however I basically have been using the Chlorine drop test every night to determine FC/CC- I just noticed it said to do that test weekly and do the daily test (K-1000) for Chlorine and PH..I do use the K-1000 for PH but I don't understand how to read it for Chlorine...No issue with pool water has been crystal clear since we converted from Baqua about 7 years ago.....Can some one explain the Chlorine test- I just did mine and the yellow matches up with the 3-6 color window? My CYA is at 30-40 and I maintain per the CYA chart-
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    3/4 horsepower Dough Boy PowerPak II pump
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: New Test

The 3 is chlorine and the 6 is bromine. Two different scales. It doesn't sound like you add bromine to your pool. What about the FAS/DPD chlorine test? That is the precision chlorine test.

Here are videos for the tests
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: New Test

The colormatching chlorine test is more of a sanity check. Unlike the pink DPD chlorine test, the yellow OTO test will not bleach out.

I use it quite a bit, but that's because I already can predict my readings with amazing accuracy after several years of testing and dosing. I know if the color is at least as deep as the highest sample, I'm good, and I can just go ahead and add the usual amount.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!