Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Staining from Copper and Chlorine Shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Staining from Copper and Chlorine Shock

Several months ago I noticed black stains on the bottom and sides of my pool within hours of putting in Leslie's Power Powder. The pool was tested and showed some copper but no other metals. I Used Leslie's metal eliminator package (Stain Remover, Metal Free and Metal Curalotor packet) once the pool's chlorine level was less than .5 ppm as instructed. It has been several weeks with minimal change and the minute I again added Power Powder to re-chlorinate the pool the black spots began increasing. I found a post by onBalance, Senior Member and TPF Expert from 1-15-13 for a similar situation and he recommended using "potassium alum" granular (2-3 pounds) to remove the black stains quickly and vacuuming to remove waste and residue.

My pool is a 10,000 gallon, gunite, in-ground pool with a Haward filter and chlorinator. I have the following questions:
    1. How much potassium alum should I use for a 10,000 gal pool?
    2. How is it applied? Filter on or filter off?
    3. What should the chlorine level be when I add the potassium alum?
    4. Where can I purchase potassium alum granular.
    5. Are there any precautions I need to take when using this chemical?
    My pool is a 10,000 gallon gunite in-ground pool using a Hayward filter and in-line chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Staining from Copper and Chlorine Shock

I'd be interested in knowing what your PH level is. Sequestrants are not a one time shot either. They have to be replenished as needed.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Usually, after you do a stain treatment, you should raise the chlorine level very slowly. It's recommended that you use only bleach or liquid chlorine. Should never use powdered unless you need the extras that come with it. Stuff like CYA or calcium. Here are a few links about it.
    Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing what your PH level is. Sequestrants are not a one time shot either. They have to be replenished as needed.
    PH is 7.4
    My pool is a 10,000 gallon gunite in-ground pool using a Hayward filter and in-line chlorinator.