Bad pool pump ?

I just opened my pool today and when I went to start up my Hayward SP2607x10 pump and my A O Smith 1HP motor model C48K2N143B1 motor set at 230 volts, did a flash at the rear of the motor and tripped both breakers.
I checked all three wires going into the motor and don't have continuity between them-so the motor is actually good-right ?
Recommendations appreciated for my next step.
I wouldn't be adverse to a new two speed pump if that's a good solution, but I took the cover off the pool and I've got a lot of green water about to start going bad. I will drop a pump in for circulation and add some bleach for now....
Advice please !

Last edited:
sounds like the motor is shot can u spin the shaft or impeller ?

Thank you SacPoolPros-it is locked up ! I didn't even think to try to turn it-since the last once a year time it was locked up, I had a humming sound. I wasn't even able to turn the impeller with a rubber stretch wrench, so I'm disassembling it now, according to directions found on YouTube.
Thank you !

Sounds like bad bearings. You can keep the wet end and just replace the motor with a Century STS1072RV1 and get a two speed while you are at it. If you go this route, make sure you get a new Go-Kit (seal and gaskets).

View attachment 47340
Would this be a good choice. I look at all the old plastic wet part on my pump(I don't have any idea how old it is) and would be happy to replace all of it.
My piping is all 2" and the description here says 2" outside and 1 1/2 inside ?!?

About this item
Features
SuperFlo by Pentair Pool Products is a direct replacement for the Hayward Super Pump
Extremely quiet operation
Unionized fittings (1.5 in. internal slip and 2 in. external slip)
Cam and Ramp(TM) Lid
Product Information 1-Horsepower
Product Dimensions 28.2 x 12.5 x 15 inches
Item Weight 41.5 pounds
Shipping Weight 41.5 pounds
Manufacturer Pentair
ASIN B002FQIYBY
Manufacturer reference 340042
Customer Reviews 4.6 out of 5 stars 15Reviews

Product Description
340042 Features: -SuperFlo pump.-Designed for a variety of in-ground pools.-Small foot print allows it to work well on compact filter pads.-Silent running capability.-Direct replacement for the Hayward super pump.-Extremely quiet operation.-Unionized fittings (1.5" internal slip and 2" external slip).-Cam and ramp lid Heavy-duty, high service factor 56 square flange motor.-Integral volute and pot reduce hydraulic noise. Specifications: -2 Speed 230V, 1 HP. Warranty: -1 Year warranty.

Sent from my iPhone

The unions that come with the pump (2" external or 1 1/2" internal) will work for either 2" or 1 1/2" pipe so you don't need anything other than a 2" coupler.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.