Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad pool pump ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bad pool pump ?

I just opened my pool today and when I went to start up my Hayward SP2607x10 pump and my A O Smith 1HP motor model C48K2N143B1 motor set at 230 volts, did a flash at the rear of the motor and tripped both breakers.
    I checked all three wires going into the motor and don't have continuity between them-so the motor is actually good-right ?
    Recommendations appreciated for my next step.
    I wouldn't be adverse to a new two speed pump if that's a good solution, but I took the cover off the pool and I've got a lot of green water about to start going bad. I will drop a pump in for circulation and add some bleach for now....
    Advice please !
    Last edited by GregandDenise; 04-29-2016 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
    16x32 inground vinyl lined pool (15,000 gallons-I think)with FNS+ DE filter, Pentair 2 speed-1 hp pump, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bad pool pump ?

Sorry no reply yet... I'm sure others will be by shortly to assist.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

sounds like the motor is shot can u spin the shaft or impeller ?
    David Randolph
    Warranty Station
    Pentair
    Jandy
    Owner Sac Pool Pros

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by SacPoolPros View Post
    sounds like the motor is shot can u spin the shaft or impeller ?
    Thank you SacPoolPros-it is locked up ! I didn't even think to try to turn it-since the last once a year time it was locked up, I had a humming sound. I wasn't even able to turn the impeller with a rubber stretch wrench, so I'm disassembling it now, according to directions found on YouTube.
    Thank you !
    16x32 inground vinyl lined pool (15,000 gallons-I think)with FNS+ DE filter, Pentair 2 speed-1 hp pump, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like bad bearings. You can keep the wet end and just replace the motor with a Century STS1072RV1 and get a two speed while you are at it. If you go this route, make sure you get a new Go-Kit (seal and gaskets).
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Attachment 47340
    Would this be a good choice. I look at all the old plastic wet part on my pump(I don't have any idea how old it is) and would be happy to replace all of it.
    My piping is all 2" and the description here says 2" outside and 1 1/2 inside ?!?

About this item
    Features
    SuperFlo by Pentair Pool Products is a direct replacement for the Hayward Super Pump
    Extremely quiet operation
    Unionized fittings (1.5 in. internal slip and 2 in. external slip)
    Cam and Ramp(TM) Lid
    Product Information 1-Horsepower
    Product Dimensions 28.2 x 12.5 x 15 inches
    Item Weight 41.5 pounds
    Shipping Weight 41.5 pounds
    Manufacturer Pentair
    ASIN B002FQIYBY
    Manufacturer reference 340042
    Customer Reviews 4.6 out of 5 stars 15Reviews

Product Description
    340042 Features: -SuperFlo pump.-Designed for a variety of in-ground pools.-Small foot print allows it to work well on compact filter pads.-Silent running capability.-Direct replacement for the Hayward super pump.-Extremely quiet operation.-Unionized fittings (1.5" internal slip and 2" external slip).-Cam and ramp lid Heavy-duty, high service factor 56 square flange motor.-Integral volute and pot reduce hydraulic noise. Specifications: -2 Speed 230V, 1 HP. Warranty: -1 Year warranty.

7. Back To Top    #7

Superflo is a very good pump and a good fit for your setup.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Superflo is a very good pump and a good fit for your setup.
    Are unionized fittings-2" external slip and 2" internal slip what I need for my 2" pvc piping ?

9. Back To Top    #9

The unions that come with the pump (2" external or 1 1/2" internal) will work for either 2" or 1 1/2" pipe so you don't need anything other than a 2" coupler.
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you !
    It's ordered and will be here Tuesday !