Phosphate levels

Sep 15, 2008
I decided to add borates to my pool today and took a water sample to the local pool store to verify the test results I got from my test kit at home. My water looks fine and I have no algae in the pool. I do have a couple of spots on the stacked rock beam that are not in contact with the pool water. I'm assuming that it's because that area gets little sun and we had quite a bit of rain the past couple of weeks. I know the phospates are getting in my water because I use Jack's Purple Stuff.

FC = 5.0 (usually around 3.0 with SWG, but added bleach b/c we had a bunch of kids in the pool)
CC - 0.0
pH = 7.4
TA = 70
CYA = 75
Salt = 3400
CH = 325
Borates = 50
Phosphates = 5,000
Jack's Seq-Quest = 12

Should I be concerned about the phosphates? I understand all the arguements about the pros/cons, but I'm concerned b/c it's so high. I test at home with the Taylor K-2005 diligently and I know that many people here prefer the TF kit or K-2006. I don't normally take my water to be tested at the pool store, just did it today because it was next to Wal-Mart where I was buying the Borax.

My phosphate level fluctuates, but is frequently above 4,000 and I have never had any problems. Some municipal water supplies add phosphates to the water to help prevent corrosion. The water company in my area started doing that a couple of years ago and now my phosphate level is huge. It has never really made any difference though.

Thanks Jason. If I called the city and asked for a water quality report, would it show if phospates are present? Thanks to Waterbear's sticky and your posts, adding the borates was a snap. I'm hoping the pH drift will be a little more tolerable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.