Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phosphate levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Phosphate levels

I decided to add borates to my pool today and took a water sample to the local pool store to verify the test results I got from my test kit at home. My water looks fine and I have no algae in the pool. I do have a couple of spots on the stacked rock beam that are not in contact with the pool water. I'm assuming that it's because that area gets little sun and we had quite a bit of rain the past couple of weeks. I know the phospates are getting in my water because I use Jack's Purple Stuff.

FC = 5.0 (usually around 3.0 with SWG, but added bleach b/c we had a bunch of kids in the pool)
    CC - 0.0
    pH = 7.4
    TA = 70
    CYA = 75
    Salt = 3400
    CH = 325
    Borates = 50
    Phosphates = 5,000
    Jack's Seq-Quest = 12

Should I be concerned about the phosphates? I understand all the arguements about the pros/cons, but I'm concerned b/c it's so high. I test at home with the Taylor K-2005 diligently and I know that many people here prefer the TF kit or K-2006. I don't normally take my water to be tested at the pool store, just did it today because it was next to Wal-Mart where I was buying the Borax.
    15K gallon gunite pool and spa spillover - medium gray plaster, 2.5HP Hayward pump, Cartridge filter, Goldline Aquarite SWG, Jandy RS8, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Phosphate levels

My phosphate level fluctuates, but is frequently above 4,000 and I have never had any problems. Some municipal water supplies add phosphates to the water to help prevent corrosion. The water company in my area started doing that a couple of years ago and now my phosphate level is huge. It has never really made any difference though.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Phosphate levels

Thanks Jason. If I called the city and asked for a water quality report, would it show if phospates are present? Thanks to Waterbear's sticky and your posts, adding the borates was a snap. I'm hoping the pH drift will be a little more tolerable.
    15K gallon gunite pool and spa spillover - medium gray plaster, 2.5HP Hayward pump, Cartridge filter, Goldline Aquarite SWG, Jandy RS8, Polaris 280