Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt reading showing much higher than actual level

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt reading showing much higher than actual level

I have a 13,000 gal in ground pool with a T-3 Cell. Both the cell and motherboard are 1 year old. I am showing 3600 salt, but the pool store is reading it at 2400. I had it checked again the following weekend, still 1000+ difference. I brought the cell in to be checked, it passed. I installed a new motherboard and no change. I tried to reset using the off/auto/off method, but my instant salt reading is within 100-200 of what it's showing originally. The cell previously (month or so ago) had significant build up. I did an acid wash to clean it out. I checked again, and it looks completely clean. Everything is generating with no additional lights, and the pool looks good. I'm not sure what else could be the problem.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt reading showing much higher than actual level

If the SWG is happy, why do you care what the pool store thinks? I would suggest getting your own Taylor salt test.

A failing SWG cell will read lower than reality.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you sure it's a T-3?

Can you post the diagnostics?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes it is a T-3.
    92P
    AL-0
    r 1.59

My concern with having it read accurately is just that I don't want the cell to not have enough salt to work. Is there a number where there's not enough salt for the cell to generate?

5. Back To Top    #5

The numbers look good. Most likely, the store is wrong.

The TCell number should show in the diagnostic readings.

About the only way that an AquaRite can show higher than actual salt is if the Tcell type selected in setup is smaller than the actual cell. Sincethe t3 is the smallest cell, it's not possible for the salt to read higher than actual.

Get a k-1766 salt test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just ordered one. Thank you for your help!

7. Back To Top    #7

The only way I can think that the salt could read high would be if the cell were bigger than a T3 with the wrong label. However, I would consider that to be unlikely.