Hayward S244T Sand Filter-repair or replace?

kj5kb

Aug 8, 2010
SW of Kansas City
I have a Hayward S244T sand filter that is at least 11 years old- it has the pre-2005 drain design. I do not have any records documenting its exact age.

Problems:
-Last year and this year, we had a lot of sand in the pool after opening. Last year we were able to vac it up and it did not return. Haven't vac'd yet this year.
-The drain leaks sand, apparently there is supposed to be a screen on the inside, but it ain't workin'. I had a heck of a time getting the drain cap on this spring without it leaking due to sand that kept streaming out. The threads on the tank are worn also.
-The multivalve is a bit tight and hard to operate. It doesnt leak but is wet in the notches.
-The multivalve label is faded and peeling
-The gauge is shot.

This is my first Sand filter but it does appear to wrk fine otherwise.

I'm thinking I can fix this for about $150 or less with new:
Lateral assembly $60
Drain screen $10
Spider gasket $12-15
Multivalve label $10
Gauge $10-15
Shipping/ tax estimated $30-40

Or...I can get a complete new filter for $295 shipped+ tax...about $320.

????

hmm, I may have just talked myself into a new one...

I did not account for cost of sand, which would be the same either way.

Sounds like your gut is telling you wise things. 11+ years is a good run, but may be cost efficient to upgrade at this point. And your itemized list doesn't even include complete multiport valve replacement "IF" it was later discovered that would be needed. I know that's a bit more $$.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.