Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua Rite keeps generating - No flow doens't light when pump stops

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua Rite keeps generating - No flow doens't light when pump stops

My pool has been running well for 10 years or so. No issues with the SWG, except having to replace the cell about 4 years ago (as expected). I just had my old Pentair pump replaced by a IntelliFlow VST 2 (which I'm happy with). Fairly sure its not related, but since then the no-flow light does not come on when the pump stops, and the cell keeps generating. This leads to low salt and inspect cell lights on the control panel and it won't automatically start generating when the pump starts the next day. If I turn the Aqua Rite on and off it starts just fine.

I'm guessing the flow switch has failed, but I wanted to check before I ordered one. I find lots of posts from people who have "no flow" when there is flow, but nothing much about my case where I can't get a "no flow" even though there is no flow.

Thanks for looking.

Rest of the equipment is Pentair - MiniMax heater and DE filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Aqua Rite keeps generating - No flow doens't light when pump stops

Welcome to TFP

I would order a new switch and replace it, your are correct, most people have the opposite problem I would also manually turn off your SWG every day until the replacement arrives, or just turn it off and use bleach/ liquid chlorine.
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you tried unplugging the flow switch and seeing what happens. If "no flow" comes on with the switch unplugged you may have your answer.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The intelliflo is capable of very high flow rates. I suspect that the metal flapper got bent in from excessive flow. You might be able to bend it back or you might need a new flow switch.

In any case, make sure that the unit is left off until the problem is fixed. The cell produces chlorine gas and hydrogen gas. The mixture of gasses can explode and blow up your cell.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the responses. I am turning the SWG on-off daily. I didn't know it could explode - I just didn't like the idea of it running and filling the cell with any gas and trying to run while dry. robdac - I will try that. A great idea, feel a bit silly for not thinking about it. James W - I'll try bending it. At 3110 rpm on prime it really does make the water move at a crazy rate through the plumbing.

6. Back To Top    #6

You should set a lower priming speed and set a safe maximum speed. At high rpm, you're likely to overstress other components as well. The system should be left off until the flow sensor is fixed. It's not safe.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gyrodec View Post
    robdac - I will try that. A great idea, feel a bit silly for not thinking about it.
    Don't feel silly. That's why we are all here. If you unplug it and it does not go to "no flow" very quickly then you probably have a problem other than the flow switch. But, it sounds like the switch is stuck.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

rbdac - It worked. I got no flow immediately. I'll try bending the leaf, and order a new one if that doesn't work.
    JamesW - Yesterday I set the max speed to 2750 instead of 3110. Thanks for the idea.
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it.