New build in San Diego, CA

Apr 29, 2016
Encinitas, CA
Hi everyone,

Like many other stories I've read on here, I had a pool in Arizona growing up in the 80s and good childhood memories of playing in the pool.

So now we have two little kids (4yo and 7yo) and purchased a new to us home about 2 years ago. The house remodel took 14 months (!), we moved in about 8 months ago, and now we've completed a lot of yard cleanup, tree removal, and grading (it was a huge mess), and are ready to start on the backyard. The entire lot is 4 acres, but we are only going to be landscaping the "backyard" part for now which is about 230' x 130' (~0.7 acres).

We have finalized most of our new backyard design AND decided we are going to get a pool! Yay us! So I've been learning a lot about pools the last couple weeks. We've received 4 quotes and I *think* I've picked a pool builder and know 90% of what we want. The quote from the PB that seems best is $72k.

That seems like a lot compared to many of the other builds on here so I'm looking for some feedback. We received three quotes - $65k, $72k, $75k, $225k (?!?!). Should we really expect to spend ~$70k on a pool? Part of my concern is we are getting the "nice neighborhood surcharge" because most of the homes in the neighborhood are pretty expensive. But I also understand its easy to spend much, much more than $72k on a pool...

I'll let the pictures explain more details.

- Any thoughts on the quote that was provided?

- Any thoughts on the design and general layout?

- Specific question: is a pebble finish too rough for kids' feet?

Thanks!

-ZonieInCa

yard bw crop.jpg

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Forum members would love to assist you in your decisions. Something that may really help you (and us) is if you could somehow list (or scan and upload) your PB quote(s) listing of equipment. Besides the layout, evaluating what equipment the PB is planning on installing is extremely important. Great to have you with us!

Maybe I am missing it but does this quote include a patio of any sort ( pavers, travertine, concrete etc. ) Looks like you have your work cut out for you with that lot. I look forward to watching this. As for the price it is so tough to tell as different parts of the country command different prices. I would say the 225k quote just did not want the job but would do it if you were willing to pay that. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Pool pricing seems higher - but its probably more to do with California and Nice neighborhood. We felt that our pricing also went up based on neighborhood - so we had to look at more builders till we found someone we liked at a price point we were comfortable. The base cost of 40k seems not to cover a lot. Typically that base cost should include some allowance for base tile, base plaster, base coping and standard equipment.

I would also ask for upgrade pricing for a atleast the tile, plaster and coping. The more you read this forum, the more you will be considering prism matrix wet edge and pebbletec or glass beads. Also, find out what the $ 8 tile allowance buys you. Ask PB to show examples.

The IC40 salt water system should also ideally be upgraded to a IC60 - 40 stands for 40,000 gallons and 60 = 60,000 gallons. But its good to get a larger factor of safety so that the cell is not operating at limit at all times.

for the 225k quote - tell him all the other bids were at 300k, why is he so cheap?

Hey Steve, we're right up the way from you in La Costa, much smaller house :) and getting bids for a remodel of our pool. PM me if you'd like to exchange info on PB's, we've gotten about 5 or 6 quotes and are about to pull the trigger. We are debating between Quartzscapes (an NPT product, very common for almost any PB) and Pebbletec (only 1 game in town for PT products, Gardner). Based on the size of your lot, the surround deck and hardscape (and landscape) are going to be fun, but getting your pool dialed in is exciting. People with room in their budget will usually move up to the newer glass and pebble products, but there are many, many homes in Rancho Santa Fe with simple plaster as well. The water features, boulders, slides/shelfs, waterfalls etc can be fun and problematic as well.

I've only be on this forum for a bit, but its a wealth of info, and you can spend hours and hours learning :)

Welcome :)

Joel

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
- Specific question: is a pebble finish too rough for kids' feet?

My wife and kids say unequivocally "YES" it is too rough. I wonder if they (and their feet) wouldn't get used to it pretty quickly though. Each manufacturer now seems to have a "small pebble" line that is a little smoother than traditional pebble.

Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback so far. Sounds like I need to beat the contractors up on pricing a little...

> The IC40 salt water system should also ideally be upgraded to a IC60

Good suggestion. I'll ask about this.

> My wife and kids say unequivocally "YES" it is too rough

Yes, we are leaning towards "Quartscape" or something similar now - that seems pretty smooth.

We've made some progress on our pool...

Ir1n2JY.jpg

dFWmo4y.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

More...

ZsRAoRP.jpg

l4LDjl5.jpg

JUV4Ao4.jpg

5KMnYnO.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

More...

oRol1S9.jpg

8BfYiIj.jpg

79DaXw9.jpg

KHdTAZf.jpg

TO4Skhf.jpg

3QpFA1b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And this is pretty much where we are at today. Watering the gunite for a week or so now.

oeBPlT7.jpg

That is DEEP! WOW! Time to update your siggy so we can see the details! LOVE the design!

Cute kids pics! Tell them they have to be able to move the big rocks to where you want them before they can swim! LOL

Kim:cat:

Very nice pool. I am right behind you in the building phase. We completed the dig today. Rebar Saturday. I am doing mine as OB. Who shot your gunite? Are you happy with the job? I am still getting bids now for next week. Thank you for the any info you can pass along.

9 feet deep. Not super deep and same as the pool I had in AZ growing up. It looked really deep before the gunite was in.

PB is "Zier Pools" (jury is still out on them...) and gunite crew that the PB hired was "HP Gunite". Seemed/seems pretty good to me and it's all they do. Said they spray 1-2 pools everyday.

Nice Zonie, are you up off Saxony or in Olivenhain? Awesome canyon views. That pool is huge :) My good friend used Zier, he was pretty happy, although they didn't always show up. I had them come by for an estimate last year, and they never responded with #'s. I called them in March again, and they just called back last week (after I've already had my pool done). I guess its good to be busy, but that was a cause for concern for me. Your pool will be awesome, keep the pics coming :)

I'm in Olivenhain.

We are filling it with water today! I'm pretty happy with how the pool turned out, but I definitely would not recommend Zier. Without writing a book with all the issues I had with them, they were very unreliable, slow to respond/communicate, and full of "hidden costs" that they had previously verbally agreed to. Anyways, that's hopefully all behind me now and now we can just go swimming! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.