Does anyone else test FC,CC, and TC like me?

Darren35

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2014
Evansville, IN
I am very much OCD and my data needs to be accurate for me to be satisfied. As a result, I just test the chlorine levels with the FAS DPD 3-4 times per week. Sometimes every day if I notice the Chlorine is changing rapidly. Every day I had approx. 32 ounces of bleach.

This seems to work- I cant tell that much difference with the color panel test. The top two ranges just seem to be too close to each other. Besides- I am not satisfied reading a result that says the chlorine is between "3-6". I want to know exactly what it is.

I know it's ok to do it that way- but does anyone else struggle with the different shades of yellow?

I wish there was a better way to test PH. I don't have as much problem with the shades of yellow as I do with the shades of orange/pink/red for the PH test. But that said, I pretty much use the FAS DPD test exclusively as well since I'm still fine tuning/verifying my timing for the new stenner pump I just installed.

I am exactly the same way with all the tests. I want every test to show the exact number, not a range or shade. I also have difficulty telling how dark the yellow and orange shades are. I find it looks different shades when I hold up against the outside light as opposed to inside against a sheet of white paper. Also the cya test is really difficult with that black dot. Sometimes I think I see it but not sure of how much of it is really visible.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

You are much like the rest of us. Some shades, whether FC or pH, can be a bit tricky and blend well. I had that problem just now the pH on a cloudy day, so I asked my wife for a second opinion. Practice continues to make perfect for those comparator views. Using the OTO, validated by using the FAS-DPD, is a good way to confirm your color reading skills - for FC anyways. :)

wapld5.jpg

I switched to FAS-DPD in July 2015. "Never again" for the old color shading tests :D . Well, maybe someday.. "Never say never" :).

I recall being skeptical and a little scoffing about the FC "powder" test when I arrived at this forum and asking "Why get the Speedstir?"

I ate a large plate of "crow" after converting over to those test tools :D .

It's worth the cost trade-off for me but the dye or OTO tests can come in handy for a quick ballpark FC test for troubleshooting reasons.

In the winter or when water is below 60 degrees I seldom us FAS-DPD since I'm not as worried about algae. In the summer, though, I go with the powder almost exclusively. If water is crystal clear I may do OTO for a couple of days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.