Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hey Pool Pump People...need help on pump Brand

1. Back To Top    #1

Hey Pool Pump People...need help on pump Brand

I've decided on an Energy Star Variable Speed Pump. However, my PB only uses the following brands: Pentair, Hayward, & Zodiac. He recommends Hayward & says he has never had a problem with them honoring their warranty. What do the experts here think?

TIA!
    15 X 34 Pacific Blue Viking Fiji, 3'6" to 6', 12,000 gallon with spill-over spa wrapped in stone, 2 laminars, noche travertine coping, & spray deck patio. Hayward Heat Pump, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hey Pool Pump People...need help on pump Brand

They're all good manufacturers. They have all had units fail, but they all honor the warranty unless there's a good reason not to. Get surge protection because the vsp motors are susceptible to power fluctuations and surges

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, all good choices. I have been very happy with my Pentair VS pump. Here are a couple of good choices.
    Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Get surge protection because the vsp motors are susceptible to power fluctuations and surges
    Great advice, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Yep, all good choices. I have been very happy with my Pentair VS pump. Here are a couple of good choices.
    Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018
    Thank you so much for the links!
    15 X 34 Pacific Blue Viking Fiji, 3'6" to 6', 12,000 gallon with spill-over spa wrapped in stone, 2 laminars, noche travertine coping, & spray deck patio. Hayward Heat Pump, SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    They're all good manufacturers. They have all had units fail, but they all honor the warranty unless there's a good reason not to. Get surge protection because the vsp motors are susceptible to power fluctuations and surges
    Regarding warranty, make sure you understand the contingencies they place on installations that aren't done by a certified installer. I replaced a pump last year that was noisy, but working fine. I bought a 2-speed pentair whisperflo last spring from on online supplier, installed it myself, and by the end of the summer it was getting noisy. I took a video, sent it to pentair, and they said it sounded like bearings. Sent them the purchase receipt from an authorized dealer, and then found out that without a receipt from a certified installer my warranty was only 30 DAYS. Not cool.