Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My Baquacil Conversion...With Pics!!

1. Back To Top    #1

My Baquacil Conversion...With Pics!!

Okay,

I think I am complete on the conversion and have taken photos.
    I started on Tues 18:00. Added 4.3 182 oz jugs of bleach and the green happened as expected. Continued to add bleach throughout Wednesday and finally got clearer water. Opened up the cover this morning (Thurs) and it seems to be done. FC held overnight and I have my first set of test results. Please can anybody advise as to the next steps on my results...
    FC=15
    CC=1
    TC=12.5
    PH=7.2
    T/A=160
    CH=180
    CYA=0 (is this right - I followed the instructins in my TFT test kit....still read 0. I'm using a lot of Chlorine when the cover is off but it holds when the cover is on)

Thanks and hear are some pictures - I'll organise them better for others to see when I finally get my internet installed.

Danny
    25k Inground Vinyl - 3ft to 10ft, Tagelus TA-60 Sand, Minimax 400 Heater, Save T3 autocover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My Baquacil Conversion...

Congratulations on getting to this point!

If you haven't already done so, it is now time to change your filter media (sand, grids, or cartridge).

Baquacil pools don't use CYA, so I expect your CYA level to be zero. You can now go ahead and add CYA up to between 30 and 50.

You want to continue holding the FC level at 15 until the CC level goes down to 0.5 or lower and stays there for at least 24 hours, and preferably 48 hours. When that happens, and the filter media has been changed, you are done with the conversion!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: My Baquacil Conversion...

Jason - thanks for the quick response....I am trying to get the photos up for all to see..It was really straightforward and thank you all for the support in getting this done
    Pre-coversion

Pre-coversion

After Ten Minutes

After Ten Minutes

After 1 Hour

After 1 Hour

After 2 Hours Close-up

After 2 Hours

Next Morning Close Up

Next Morning

12:00 Day Two

12:00 Day Two

14:00 Day Two

14:00 Day Two

16:30 Day Two

This Morning 12:00

This Morning 12:00
    25k Inground Vinyl - 3ft to 10ft, Tagelus TA-60 Sand, Minimax 400 Heater, Save T3 autocover.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Re: My Baquacil Conversion...With Pics!!

Hey, Danny,

Very nice set of pictures. Thank you for sharing them with the forum.

Be sure to change your filter media BEFORE you add CYA......then don't backwash for 3-5 days.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Just got my sand and gravel.....now comes the next fun stage...

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow, dannyboy,

That happened so fast I didn't even have time to nuke a bag of popcorn!

Nice pics!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey, no fair a conversion party without me?

Amazing!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Great pics - reminds me of my conversion - congrats!
    22,000 Gal IG Vinyl
    Sta-rite SD75 DE filter
    Solar Cover

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for posting the pics, Danny. We're going to be converting in the next week or two. I'm pretty nervous about it and I hope ours goes as smoothly as yours did. When we open the pool, we're going to drop the water level to about a foot in the shallow end, then immediately refill. Then we'll be adding sodium percarbonate, and possibly finishing up with bleach if we don't have enough sodium percarbonate.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

10. Back To Top    #10

Hey mickey - nothing to be nervous about as long as you constantly check your shock level's are at 15.
    I brushed and back washed regularly - when the PSI showed near 20 and 12psi is normal, I chucked it to the drain.
    Still not got round to changing the filter sand as the weather has taken a turn for the worse, but will try and get that done tomorrow. The water looks pristine!

Good luck

Danny

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks, Danny I'm sure I'll be back in a couple weeks when I do my conversion with lots of questions. I just want to get it over with and never have to deal with Baquacil again!
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

12. Back To Top    #12

Just changed the filter media - cannot say that was something I particularly want to do again as it took a long time to vacuum out the old sand.
    Got a couple of small leaks from PVC work. Will try and get that fixed tomorrow. Will post new results of pool condition in the morning.

I had a part that was in the bottom of the tagelus the main pipe inside 'slotted' into. This broke during vacuuming and seemed to only be glued in there.
    Anybody know if this part in the base of the filter is that important? The main pipe inside the filter is now wedged with gravel and sand and it felt like this pipe actually did not go into this broken part after you put the filter top on...the pipe and laterals were quite rigid after the weight of the media.

Or have a I done a boo boo?