Let's talk screen enclosures ....

Apr 27, 2016
Tampa
Hello all - thanks again for all of the advice! I searched the forum but did not see anything in recent months asking questions about screen enclosures. It seems that just when I think something will be a no-brainer, there are tons of things to consider. Our enclosure will be 28x36, 10 feet high, and have two doors (one on each side). The pool and pavers will be within that area. We have a 3 and 5 year old, and a 75 pound Victorian Bulldog named Chunk.

(1) Do you recommend an upgraded screen / stronger screen over whatever is the typical option given 2 small kids and a dog? If yes, what kind?
(2) I live right near the water in Tampa, is the standard screen sufficient to keep all bugs out?
(3) Our first proposal includes a mansard style roof. But I can get hip or gable if I want. What are your opinions on the different roofing types?.
(3) Are there certain things I should ask the installer (we are in the process of getting quotes) regarding the materials they use, the spans for the screen, etc. or is everything pretty standard with a screen enclosure unless we really want the cost to skyrocket?

For those of you that have screen enclosures, is there anything you wished you would have changed? I know some of you will say you wish you did not get one in the first place, but my wife is deathly afraid of snakes(and at least she thinks the screen enclosure will keep them out) and I don't want any mosquitoes attacking me.

Thanks to all!

I can't help on all of your questions, but there is a heaver duty screen.
I think its called pet screen. I've gotten it at the local Ace hardware before.
Over the years I've replaced almost all of the lower panels with this, due to dog damage.
Especially the doors, they take the worst beating.
An inside metal screen guard on the lower door screens will help both with kids & dogs.

To answer another part of your question, there is no see um screen too, I believe.
It's a much tighter weave.

I really doubt there is a screen made that will stop a determined 75 pound dog. When our dog was a 10 month old puppy and not much over 75 pounds he clawed his way all the way through a hollow core bathroom door at my wife's sisters house when she was dog sitting for us. Thankfully they were planning on replacing that door during the then upcoming remodel anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.