Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Connection with Metals

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Connection with Metals

Noticed that when I introduce salt into the pool that I get the green tint which, short of draining and refilling, is easily solved with sequestrant (Jack's purple stuff). Reaction happens about 30 minutes after introducing bag(s) of salt. I'm curious as to why this happens? I'm using regular salt from home depot at $5/bag vs pool store $30/bag. Are there metals in the salt? Does the salt react with the metals in the water? Figured some of the chemistry majors might be able to satisfy my curiosity.
    35k Gunite, Aquarite SWG T-Cell 15, DE Filter
    Attached Spa, Water Leveler (from well / metals)
    Polaris 380, Jandy RS8 with Aqualink
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Connection with Metals

Can you be more specific about the salt you are using? Is it road salt?

Pool salt or solar salt (the kind you use in water softeners) is what is recommended.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

The kind used in water softeners. 99.9% pure salt written on the bag. Crystals. Definitely not road salt.
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts

4. Back To Top    #4

My dealer told me there are trace metals in salt. He told me this is why I get staining over time when using the SWCG. I don't know if it's true or not, but so far it's the only explanation I've received that seems to make sense.

My pool tests negative for metals btw. But it's obvious from the staining that there are some metals in there, perhaps just a very low level. I've been using Jack's Magic Purple Stuff successfully for years to keep stains at bay. I haven't experienced what you're experiencing.

Oh, and I always use pool salt (I don't have the patience for the slow dissolving solar salt ).
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I guess this will need to go down as just one of those chemistry mysteries.
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts

6. Back To Top    #6

I have never had any problems with metal staining from adding solar salt.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I added over 400 pounds and my pool stayed crystal clear.. I used the salt water softener (blue bag) from lowes...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    I added over 400 pounds and my pool stayed crystal clear.. I used the salt water softener (blue bag) from lowes...
    1200 lbs in my pool!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!