Heater on a Mounting Pad

Geebot

Aug 19, 2013
Looking into a new heater. Old one is very, very old. Still fires up but needs regular attention (relight pilot frequently, replaced thermocouple twice in two years). The heater itself looks good, but with the front panel removed I can see that the bottom of the unit has nearly rusted through. It sits directly on a concrete pad. My thought is that when we replace I'll put the new one on an Ultralight mounting pad (the ones that A/C units sit on) so it will elevate the unit by a few inches. I checked a couple of pool heater manuals online and they say it's an acceptable method but I'm wondering if anyone's done it and noticed any difference?

So you're thinking of adding another pad is for what reason?

If you get a Raypak heater it has two legs, one along front and one along the back, that keeps it off the ground. Now unless were the heater sits floods, no real need to put it up on higher ground.

So you're thinking of adding another pad is for what reason?

If you get a Raypak heater it has two legs, one along front and one along the back, that keeps it off the ground. Now unless were the heater sits floods, no real need to put it up on higher ground.

More or less to provide some elevation so it isn't sitting in water during heavier rain/snow. If I replace it will probably be with a RayPak, so good to know about the legs, although for an extra $50 the pad may still be worth it for me.

Just checked your website; nice to know I'm getting an authoritative opinion. I know you can't really play favorites but if I had to replace would RayPak be the obvious choice? Blink once for "yes."

Keep in mind that a lot of the rust in these heaters comes from condensation from the inside of the unit as well as rain water from the outside. I have my heater sitting on 4 small round plastic washers to keep it up off of the pad.

Oh yeah,... one blink.

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.