Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First vacuum of the season: auto cleaner or manual?

1. Back To Top    #1

First vacuum of the season: auto cleaner or manual?

Good afternoon! Just purchased an Aquabot Apex Revive and am very excited to not have to manually clean my pool as much. Opened my pool for the season a few days ago and am pleasantly surprised that not too much debris has gathered over the winter, just some sand and a few leaves. Looking for guidance as to whether or not to jump right in with my new auto cleaner or should I stick with the manual for the 1st time? Thanks for the feedback.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First vacuum of the season: auto cleaner or manual?

Dip out all the solids first best you can--then it's your choice. Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Is there a reason for holding back on the Aquabot? It's as good a time as any to familiarize yourself with its function. I bought a new cleaner last week and threw it in first chance I got (if there was a manufacturing defect I wanted to know sooner rather than later).
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Our robot arrived last Friday. We opened pool on Saturday! Water was clear but lots of dirt on bottom from mesh cover over winter. Put robot in right away and couldn't believe it! I say go for it!

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all, I threw it in last night and it did an amazing job. Just wanted to get a bit of advice since it was an expensive piece of equipment. So glad I found TFP!! Happy Saturday!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by peteandjoy View Post
    Thanks all, I threw it in last night and it did an amazing job. Just wanted to get a bit of advice since it was an expensive piece of equipment. So glad I found TFP!! Happy Saturday!
    It's expensive because it does a good job of something that is a real chore when done manually. You've paid for the privilege of not having to clean your pool yourself, so enjoy it.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner