Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Stabilizer vs Dry

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Stabilizer vs Dry

I have a question on liquid stabilizer. I opened the pool yesterday and basically have a CYA reading of 0. (In-ground vinyl pool.) I use a mesh safety cover and partially drain the pool each closing and it gets new water throughout the winter, but there's usually some readable but low CYA level.

I just got back from buying the usual dry crystal cyanuric acid, (didn't add it yet), but now I'm thinking I should have bought the liquid stabilizer I saw in Leslie's just to get it dissolved right away. Aside from cost is there any other negative to using the liquid vs the dry?

Will the CYA readings using the Taylor tests kits still be accurate? (I saw the liquid is a salt of some kind and I'm not sure if it becomes CYA once added and if the CYA test reagents can still read it.)

Thank you.
    ---28K gal 18x36 in-ground vinyl lined pool---Hayward 1.5 HP super pump---Hayward DE4800 filter---Raypak RP2100 heater---

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Stabilizer vs Dry

The Instant Pool Water Conditioner made by Natural Chemistry and sold by many including Leslie's produces the identical Cyanuric Acid in the water. The only differences are that Instant Pool Water Conditioner costs about twice as much (see this post) and that it is close to pH neutral. It's just a tradeoff between cost and convenience or speed of getting larger amounts of CYA in the water more quickly.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

I just added the crystal form, 4 lbs total. I poured it into one of my wife's stocking and placed it in front of the return. It took just over a day to disperse. I did shake it every 4hrs to help release it. I went from 0 CYA to 30 CYA in a 32k pool
    IG 32K, vinyl, 1hp Pentair, Sand Filter, Vanquish cleaning system, automatic cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought I'd post a follow-up. With a CYA reading of 0 in my 27,000 gallon pool I added two gallons of the liquid stabilizer. It brought the level to around 20, so I added some dry CYA I had around to get it around 30-35. (If it were cheaper I'd have bought a third gallon.) Rather gloppy and really needs to be shaken. It does seem to work well, though. (I do not use stabilized chlorine, so I hope that reading is good for the season.)
    ---28K gal 18x36 in-ground vinyl lined pool---Hayward 1.5 HP super pump---Hayward DE4800 filter---Raypak RP2100 heater---

5. Back To Top    #5

I just got conned by a Leslie's employee saying that dry CYA is bad for my SWG cell and that I should buy the liquid one, at $38 per gallon. Of course, Leslie's return policy specifically says chemicals are not refundable.
    21,000 gal IG plaster | 72 ft2 DE Filter | 2-speed Hayward Pump | CompuPool CPSC36 SWG | Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

Should have asked us first ! 😉
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Wink Re: Liquid Stabilizer vs Dry

Pay and learn. But as a result, I did figure out why staying closer to 80 PPM CYA is better for your SWG!
    21,000 gal IG plaster | 72 ft2 DE Filter | 2-speed Hayward Pump | CompuPool CPSC36 SWG | Polaris 280

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh no! It's either predatory or ignorance on their part. Any way you slice it, it's just wrong.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    Oh no! It's either predatory or ignorance on their part. Any way you slice it, it's just wrong.
    I was thinking the same thing. Your best defense is to educate yourself. A pool store is just that; a store. Don't expect reliable guidance from them, educate yourself before going, and you will be OK.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

10. Back To Top    #10

is dry CYA is bad for my SWG cell?

11. Back To Top    #11

No, using dry CYA does not pose any issues for the SWG at all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Just bought 2 gallons of liquid CYA from Leslie's since i am starting a new pool with 17,100 gallons of water. Wanted to get it going quick then will go to dry.
    27' Radiant Metric, 17,100 gallons
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5hp 220v
    Circupool RJ45, Sand Filter, Borates
    Dolphin DX6 Robotic cleaner
    TF 100 Kit