Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I Need A Check Valve & What's That Brass Thing???

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I Need A Check Valve & What's That Brass Thing???

pool equipment pad.jpg We have just finished building our pool and I have a question about our equipment. Between the heat pump and the salt cell there is a brass(?) thing and a flow a flow switch. What is the brass thing? Do I need it? Also, shouldn't there be a check valve where that brass thing is? Sorry to sound vague and dense but I am really new to this.
    36K gal IG Diamondbrite, IntelliFlo VSOM 3HP Pump, Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, HeatPro 140K BTU Heat Pump, AquaRite AQR15 SWG, Built 1/16-4/16, no H20 restrictions; Hotspring Limelight Flair 310 gal hot tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I Need A Check Valve & What's That Brass Thing???

I am an old man that can't see. All I see is a brass blur. Could you give me a closeup.

I don't think you need a checkvalve. The SWG generates limited amounts of chlorine its unlikely to harm the heat pump.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

image.jpgHere is a close up. Is that copper? brass? thing related to bonding/grounding? A green wire runs from the grass to the pump/motor to the sacrificial zinc anode then to this mystery part then to the heat pump.
    36K gal IG Diamondbrite, IntelliFlo VSOM 3HP Pump, Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, HeatPro 140K BTU Heat Pump, AquaRite AQR15 SWG, Built 1/16-4/16, no H20 restrictions; Hotspring Limelight Flair 310 gal hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep. Anode.

Nope. Don't need a check valve there. That other fitting down stream of the anode is a flow sensor for your SWG. If it doesn't detect flow, it will shut down so it's effectively a check valve. No flow = no chlorine production to back flow into heater.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually I think that particular fitting is a water bonder. But, it does look like you have an anode in the line between the filter and the heat pump.
    It also looks like they have the nut on that split-bolt turned around backwards.

As for the check valve, you don't really need one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all. Mystery solved and no need to add a valve.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah, I think that brass bar in the bolt slot supposed to be between the wires and the nut.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks! I will get that taken care of.