Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: brookeann - Brand New to Pool Ownership

1. Back To Top    #1

Red face brookeann - Brand New to Pool Ownership

Hello everyone!

I purchased a home with an in-ground pool this past December. I was pretty nervous about the cost and the maintenance, but I love swimming and I loved the house, so I decided to go for it.

I just ordered a recommended test kit and have been reading your amazing wealth of information here.

We just opened the pool on Wednesday evening. I paid our kind-of-local pool company to come and open it. I have not received the bill yet but I know it will be more than I expected. We had a broken plug on the pump and a broken gauge on the filter so both of those had to be replaced. And two pieces of the PVC pipe stuff were leaking, so those were cut and replaced as well. Plus the initial $200 cost for just having them open, not including the chemicals (another $50 was their estimate). I have no idea what they poured into the pool, but they told us to let the filter run for 48 hours and let the chemicals do their jobs and then for us to clean out the leaves and vacuum the pool. After that we were told to bring them a water sample and they will tell us what to add (and probably try to sell us their chemicals since I was told I should only purchase high quality chemicals from pool service stores...)

Do you all think I still need to do that or should I be able to handle it? My test kit should be here soon and I have some chemicals test strips leftover from the previous owners.

As of this morning the pool was very blue and clear enough to see the bottom everywhere except the middle of the deepest end (9 ft). I expect it'll be clear by the time I get home from work this evening. Unfortunately the temperature dropped this week and it's been raining and it's not supposed to be nice enough for swimming until NEXT weekend . But at least I have some time to work out issues and come up with a routine. I am counting down the days and super excited for a hopefully trouble free, fantastic pool season.
    22,000 Gallon In Ground Vinyl Liner Hayward Sand Filter 1980 TFTestkits TF-1002

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: brookeann - Brand New to Pool Ownership

You've already done THE right thing by taking control with your own great test kit. Dip out the solids, vac if you can see clearly enough, and wait on your kit to arrive. Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! You are doing the right thing. Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP, YOU CAN DO THIS, no problem spend some time reading and ask some questions, we will get you going...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

So far you are doing all of the right things-buying a pool with a house, Finding TFP, ordering a test kit, questioning about the PS.

For now add 1 jug of PLAIN, UNSCENTED bleach to the pool until your test kit comes in. Make sure the pump is running and you brush it around some.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the welcome and words of encouragement everyone! And thank you Kim, I will be sure to do that this evening.
    22,000 Gallon In Ground Vinyl Liner Hayward Sand Filter 1980 TFTestkits TF-1002

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter