Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First pool and in puerto vallarta no less!

1. Back To Top    #1

First pool and in puerto vallarta no less!

Im new to pool ownership. We purchased a house in vallarta that came with a tiled concrete 5000 gaĺlon pool. I have a friend helping me now but his knowledge is limited as weĺl.
    I purchased a cheap 2 part test kit but now have a 5 part kit coming. The pool is in fuĺl vallarta sun most of The day and so far we are trying to get chlorine level up.
    I purchased a big drum of powder chlorine, acid powder and a water clarifier to be used sparingly once we get balance and clearity all sorted..hopefully we wont need it but there is alot of fine pollen and city dust seasonally .
    Lņoking forward to getting helping here and contributing when I can!
    Thanks and heĺlo all!
    G and a

Pool 4800 gaĺlon tiled concrete
    Hayward sand filter S166t.
    Pool Pump Silver10/1115 1hp
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First pool and in puerto vallarta no less!

Hello and welcome to TFP! Perhaps the best thing you could do right now is brush-up on our TFP Pool School page (link below in my sig). There you will receive some very essential information related to pool care. Also in my link below are TFP-Recommended Chemicals and Levels to help maintain your pool. If your test kit has a way of testing CYA, you'll want to know that as well so you know how much chlorine the pool should have. Those two items (FC and CYA) go together as you can see on the Chlorine/CYA Chart link below.

Take a look around, and pleas let us know if you have any questions. Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

EExcellent wiil go to pool school thanks for quick response!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP, check out everything and ask some questions
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

My first problem is the cya test. I am managing the pool/house remotely with My friend that lives close by. The pņolmaster 5way kit doesnt test for cya and ordering when im in canada is very expensive. Perhaps in meantime I can get him to take a sample to local pool store for cya test? Hes having hard time keeping chlorine reading up for a wček. I did math and the entire pool water can be cycled in an hour with the cuŕrent Pump so im running it for 2 hours currently.
    Thanks all!

Heat siphon Sx3.25hp

6. Back To Top    #6

He could go to the pool store, but our experience is that the pool stores generally make errors with that specific test either because of inexperience, or simply due to testing indoors under incandescent lighting. But you do need to have an idea what your CYA is. If it's too low, the sun will burn-off all of your FC in a very short time. If the CYA is too high, you can never seem to add enough chlorine to effectively do its job. I can't get to eBay from my current computer, but some people have had luck ordering through eBay when they live outside the U.S.. Perhaps someone else will have an idea or two of how you might be able to obtain the CYA portion.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

• Yay! found this cya only test kit $30 in canada. Reagent refill $9
    • So this kit ...Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit with Case - Basic Collection And the cyanuric listed below should have me covered correct??my other problem is I wont be back till mid july. Should I get my friend to at least take sample to pool Store to test or hold off a couple months till I get there��
    • Im starting to realize i have to be a scientist and a P.I. now with my new pool ownership!

• Aquatech Store - Search Results for "CYANURIC"

Bottle of 50 Tests for: Total Alkalinity Free Chlorine pH Cyanuric Acid
      ADD TO CART
      Compare

• Kit - Rainbow CYA Test #79 (Stabilizer)
      $29.00

Stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid) is a chemical that is added to the pool water to help to keep the chlorine from being burned up too quickly by the sun's UV rays. This test measures cyanurates in water - Comes with a 8 oz Bottle

8. Back To Top    #8

IMG-20160429-WA0002.jpg
    Just in test results for ph and chlorine. The only thing added is approx 1/2 cup powder chlorine 3 days ago and looks like chlorine is still holding in strong vallarta sun.

9. Back To Top    #9

Those look like good readings. Of course once your CYA test product arrive, that's when you'll really know what you FC should be based on the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

10. Back To Top    #10

To really KNOW the chlorine levels, especially if you run into issues and need to raise it up for the SLAM process, you need to have the FAS-DPD chlorine test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

So then i dont have all the testing i need with the 5 way pm kit and the cyanic acd test? To get the FAS-DPD test I would need to purchase the taylor k 2006 kit from somewhere. How nessasry is this?

12. Back To Top    #12

You don't need to order an entire kit. This one here will work perfectly: TFTestkits.net.

13. Back To Top    #13

IIRC, the k1515 is just the Taylor FAS-DPD.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

They sell k1515 at same pool store $100 just for that test!
    KIT - Taylor K-1515 Drop Test, FAS-DPD Chlorine - Aquatech Store
    KIT - Taylor K-1515 Drop Test, FAS-DPD Chlorine

So Adding both CYA and
    FAS-DPD test is 100% nessassry ...sounds like it is?
    If So at that price I might as well order the entire k2006 kit for $180 from them�� and add it to my growing test kit collection!
    1 poolmaster 5 way kit and 2 way

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, those 2 tests are absolutely necessary. Ridiculous how much they are charging.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

I can order the tayor k2006 from ebay shipped to canada with shipping approx 120$can. If i order from ebay is there any specific reagents i should order at same time? The cya and FAS-DPD probably make the most sense as the rest i have from my growing test collection��
    Again its a 5000gal pool that we will be renting out occasionally as well when we arent there so i need to develop a system that my freind and i (occasionally remotely) can apply with bi weekly visits for testing and treatments when guests are regularly using the pool.
    So far we are using a big industrial size supply of powder chlorine (my first lesson reading pool school is that it raises the cya levels), acida ph raising powder (havent really needed it thus far), and a big bottle of clearlifier for pollen, city dust etc too fine for sand filter (havent used or needed yet).
    There is a huge grocery store 2 blocks away and my friend has a relative that owns a pool supply company in vallarta so we get decent prices (still way too high comparitively to usa and even canada prices) on what we need. The BBBmethod stand alone i would apply If we lived there daily but i dont kmow how practical and realistic it is under the current situation.
    Thanks again to everyone i need all the help i can get!

17. Back To Top    #17

Hello again! I have a friend coming across us border to canada in a couple of weeks so I am free to order anything I need pretty much now. I have settled on the tf-100 7way test kit instead of the k2006 or ordering separate cya and fas/dpd test kits (to fill out my 5way poolmaster kit).
    Is this a good choice as well any other suggestions as to what to include in this order?
    Thanks again!

Heat siphon Sx3.25hp

18. Back To Top    #18

Also get the Speed Stir. Might as well also get the TF-100's "XL Option" which has more reagents.

19. Back To Top    #19

I agree at least at the XL option because those are the reagents that are more difficult for you to get. The Speedster is also really nice and helps with the testing but not required.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast