Should I adjust my Calcium Hardness?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Current setup is a 15k gallon SWG gunite/plaster pool (built in 08-09) and spa. Current CH level is 170. Kinda confused at all the different numbers/recommendations for CH. Should I bump this up a little, and if so what range should I shoot for 200-250? The previous homeowners left a 5 gallon bucket of Hardness Plus which makes me assume that the pool's CH levels must have stayed on the lower side.

The CH range for your SWG pool is 350-450. It would be in your best interest to stay close to that minimum end of the range to protect your pool's plaster surfaces. Some people who live in areas that have hard water see their CH rise quickly from refilling. The links below in my sig can help you with that as well. If your area receives so much rain that water exchange happens quite frequently, or you pool has a constant leak, that can result in CH lowering quite rapidly. Hope that helps.

The CH range for your SWG pool is 350-450. It would be in your best interest to stay close to that minimum end of the range to protect your pool's plaster surfaces. Some people who live in areas that have hard water see their CH rise quickly from refilling. The links below in my sig can help you with that as well. If your area receives so much rain that water exchange happens quite frequently, or you pool has a constant leak, that can result in CH lowering quite rapidly. Hope that helps.

Well our pool isn't that big beings it's only 15k gallons and it tends to rain quite often in South Louisiana, therefore every so often I do have to waste from time to time to lower it back to the proper skimming level. Maybe that's why it tends to stay on the low side for the CH. I'll try raising it up a bit and see what happens. Last thing I want is for the plaster surface to get messed up due to low CH levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.