Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light light bulb socket tab broken off

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light light bulb socket tab broken off

I went to change my light bulb in my hayward pool light and the tab where the bottom of the light makes contact broke off. Is there any way to fix that (i.e. put a dab of solder on the end) or do I need to replace my whole light fixture?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light light bulb socket tab broken off

Welcome to TFP!

Not sure which option might work for you but have a look at these.

Pool Tool Light Wedge # 132

Pool Tool Pool Light Security Clip # 132-A

Both are likely available at sunplay.com as well.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. But what I'm talking about is the bottom of the light socket that you screw the light bulb in to. There is a tab that has corroded away that if I can fix it. I won't have to buy a new fixture. Any ideas?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pgc View Post
    Thanks for the reply. But what I'm talking about is the bottom of the light socket that you screw the light bulb in to. There is a tab that has corroded away that if I can fix it. I won't have to buy a new fixture. Any ideas?
    Hi did you solve your problem? Our tab broke off too. Tried soldering but it would not stick. Used flux too. I really do t want to have to buy a new fixture.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If what has broken off is a small tab that holds the bottom of the ring in place, you might be able to use the pool light security clip linked to above. You may have to do a bit of MacGyvering and drill a hole through the ring to secure it but it's designed to hold the top in when the top tab is broken, so it should be able to hold the bottom as long as there's a way to attach it to the ring.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks but what I am talking about is inside the light fixture, inside where the lightbulb is screwed in.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Are you talking about the electrical contact inside the bulb socket?

Can you post a picture?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes. Can't take pic now but will later thx

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Sorry I misunderstood, if it's the light socket, I think it's time to replace the fixture.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Are you talking about the electrical contact inside the bulb socket?

Can you post a picture?
    I ran into the same problem today. Broken tab is in the socket, covering the center spring (bottom contact). There's a screw (left of center) holding the contact plate in place. The part can be removed. The whole thing is shown in the second picture. Small piece of brass with a slight bend.

fullsizeoutput_11a1.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_11ae.jpg

This should be a simple part to replace, provided we can find one. It's not listed in the parts breakdown for my light (Pentair/Amerlite).

[Update:] Had scrap brass lying around, so made myself a replacement and it's working. Now I wonder if the bulb need to be replaced, or it was just this stupid thing.
    Last edited by cmunro; 06-25-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: updated info
    Charlie M.
    Coppell TX
    32.3K Gal. Gunite/PebbleTec pool w/spa, Sta-rite Max-E-Pro with 2HP main motor, 1 hp booster, 48 sq ft DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Check for replacement bulb sockets in your local big box home improvement store, you might find one that has a removable tab that you could use. They are just a couple of bucks.

Search Results for light bulb socket at The Home Depot

If not, an electrical supply house would be the next choice.

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I have a kinda similar issue...We have a Pentair 78458100 Amerlite Underwater Incandescent Pool Light.It burned out and when I was changing the bulb I noticed some corrosion in the socket. When I was scraping it out, I may have been a bit too aggressive and one of the small diamond shaped pieces of metal that is riveted in the bottom of the socket broke off (you can see the two of them in your photo. Anyone know if Is this an issue? I replaced the bulb and it is working fine. Any info you have would be appreciated. If its is just one of the two rivets that hold it in place it seems like it would be no big deal but I have not idea if it might be connected to something like a ground on the other side.