Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Capacitor Polarity?

1. Back To Top    #1

Capacitor Polarity?

I have a 1.5HP pump (old Magnetek B2854 aka 717721624). My pump motor hums when it is turned on but will not turn over. I shut the power of at the breaker, verified that it wouldn't turn on, took the strainer out so I could get to the impeller to verify it spins freely (which it did). I then took the hump off the motor to get to the capacitor. I discharged the capacitor before looking at the leads and taking them off.

The capacitor has so much rust on it that I can't read the numbers but verified that it was a 370VAC 30 MF capacitor which is pretty standard for these motors it looks like. I got mine off Amazon for $15. My question is: I can't tell if there is polarity on the capacitors or if you can just hook the leads back up either way.

Here is the one I purchased. http://www.amazon.com/Motor-Capacito...ilpage_o00_s00
    28,000 in ground gunite. 3.5' shallow end, 8' deep end with 8' waterslide. Only metal in the pool is the pool light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Capacitor Polarity?

It's an VAC capacitor, there's no polarity. You can hook it up either way.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome! Thank you!
    28,000 in ground gunite. 3.5' shallow end, 8' deep end with 8' waterslide. Only metal in the pool is the pool light.

4. Back To Top    #4

Received the Capacitor and installed it in 5 minutes. Pump is back to full operation. Thanks for your help!

5. Back To Top    #5

Much thanks for coming back and letting us know the outcome. A lot of times we give advice and people never come back and let us know if it helped. Thanks much.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit