Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool leak, 50 year old plaster pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

pool leak, 50 year old plaster pool.

Hi there,

I've got a 50 year old plaster pool that appears to be leaking. With the pump off, water loss is negligible over 24 hours. With the pump on and one skimmer plugged, it looks like it's lost a little over an inch in 12 hours if I've got that right. There is no visible water in the pump house at the pump or filter. Can I conclude that the leak is in the plumbing between the skimmer I hadn't plugged and the pump?

Presumably the next steps are to call a pool company to confirm and repair? Deck is concrete. pump and filter are on a separate concrete pad in a shed.

thanks for any assistance you can offer.
    Captain Canada
    In ground gunnite pool
    size TBD, possibly 147,000 litres, a little under 20X40

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool leak, 50 year old plaster pool.

If there is a between a skimmer and the pump it will suck air when the pump is on and leak when it is off. Leaking when the pump is on indicates a leak on the pressure side plumbing.

More here, Pool School - Leak Detection
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

really helpful pooldv, thank you. Based on your feedback I htink the culprit is a leak to the backwash line because I can hear it in the house, I think it's tied into our our household plumbing/sewer (have only lived in house for a year).

I found this post from a few years ago which matches what I'm seeing hearing here but the photos appear to be missing so I can't sort out what a push/pull valve is. I have a sta rite high rate sand filter with a multiport on top. Is the first place to start the o-ring and spider gasket?
    thanks again.

Barry

Water leaking to the backwash line in a filter mode - photos
    Captain Canada
    In ground gunnite pool
    size TBD, possibly 147,000 litres, a little under 20X40

4. Back To Top    #4

My sand filter will do it from time to time. Take the top off of the selector valve and clean the surfaces. My gasket usually has some debris stuck in it, usually small sharp rocks.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice work! Yep, spider gaskets are often the culprit.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach