Pool still cloudy

May 30, 2015
Winterville, NC
Hello again. Been working on the shock for around 2 weeks now but my pool is still somewhat cloudy. It went from swamp green to a clearish/slightly cloudy color on top. I can see down about 2 ft but cloudy after that. Current reading are as follows:

FC 28
CC 1
TC 29
CH 50
TA 190
CYA 50
CL +5
PH 7.4

I have been using store bought bleach only.

Water temp at start of shock was 70 degrees. Four days ago I placed a solar blanket on top of water which has brought the water temp up to 80 degrees.

I have deep cleaned my sand filter twice now, once at around day 3 of shock and again 3 days ago. Ive been in the pool to brush walls and bottom daily after the swampy green disappeared. I run my pump and sand filter 12 hrs daily. I have noticed my sand filter psi has changed since I first started. At start up the psi would maintain around 6-8 psi then creep up to around 12 after running say 6 hours. I would then do a backwash, rinse then put back to filter mode as the psi would fall back to 6 psi. This week my psi maintains around 12-15 psi. Example, the psi can be say 14 and I will do a backwash, rinse then filter to only bring the psi down to say 12. Ive tried consecutive rounds-backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse then back to filter mode to still get a psi of 12-15. When I noticed the higher psi thats when I did another deep cleaning to the sand filter. Yesterday I was out running errands and happened to be in a pool supply store to get a part for my ladder and for grins and giggles I bought a replacement pressure gauge for $5 thinking maybe my gauge has malfunctioned. Got home and swapped out the old gauge with the new one and still showing same high psi. Just fyi, Ive not yet installed my ladder into the pool yet.

Any advice to help me get this pool clear would be greatly appreciated.

A few things I notice.... your psi is rising because you are filtering algae. You just have to keep an eye on it. The pump has to run 24/7 during the SLAM, not just 12 hours. The SLAM/Shock FC for your pool is only 20 (based on a CYA of 50), so you're a little high right now. More is not always better. :) The elevated CC means your pool is still processing algae/organic material for oxidation, so stick with it. No need to test pH and TA during the SLAM. You can catch-up on those later and just save reagents for now. Focus on the FC and CC, and maybe in a few days check CYA again. Hang in there and maintain that FC SLAM level. Patience. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if you're still covering the pool with the solar blanket, I would remove it. Let the pool breathe and take a close look at the blanket for algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.