Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool still cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool still cloudy

Hello again. Been working on the shock for around 2 weeks now but my pool is still somewhat cloudy. It went from swamp green to a clearish/slightly cloudy color on top. I can see down about 2 ft but cloudy after that. Current reading are as follows:

FC 28
    CC 1
    TC 29
    CH 50
    TA 190
    CYA 50
    CL +5
    PH 7.4

I have been using store bought bleach only.

Water temp at start of shock was 70 degrees. Four days ago I placed a solar blanket on top of water which has brought the water temp up to 80 degrees.

I have deep cleaned my sand filter twice now, once at around day 3 of shock and again 3 days ago. Ive been in the pool to brush walls and bottom daily after the swampy green disappeared. I run my pump and sand filter 12 hrs daily. I have noticed my sand filter psi has changed since I first started. At start up the psi would maintain around 6-8 psi then creep up to around 12 after running say 6 hours. I would then do a backwash, rinse then put back to filter mode as the psi would fall back to 6 psi. This week my psi maintains around 12-15 psi. Example, the psi can be say 14 and I will do a backwash, rinse then filter to only bring the psi down to say 12. Ive tried consecutive rounds-backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse then back to filter mode to still get a psi of 12-15. When I noticed the higher psi thats when I did another deep cleaning to the sand filter. Yesterday I was out running errands and happened to be in a pool supply store to get a part for my ladder and for grins and giggles I bought a replacement pressure gauge for $5 thinking maybe my gauge has malfunctioned. Got home and swapped out the old gauge with the new one and still showing same high psi. Just fyi, Ive not yet installed my ladder into the pool yet.

Any advice to help me get this pool clear would be greatly appreciated.
    27' AG Vogue pool with vinyl liner and metal shell 18,500 gallons 4 ft deep
    1.5 hp Pentair pump
    Pentair Sand Dollar High Rate Sand Filter
    Hasa pool liquidator with 3/8" upgrade
    TF 100 test kit w/ Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool still cloudy

A few things I notice.... your psi is rising because you are filtering algae. You just have to keep an eye on it. The pump has to run 24/7 during the SLAM, not just 12 hours. The SLAM/Shock FC for your pool is only 20 (based on a CYA of 50), so you're a little high right now. More is not always better. The elevated CC means your pool is still processing algae/organic material for oxidation, so stick with it. No need to test pH and TA during the SLAM. You can catch-up on those later and just save reagents for now. Focus on the FC and CC, and maybe in a few days check CYA again. Hang in there and maintain that FC SLAM level. Patience.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if you're still covering the pool with the solar blanket, I would remove it. Let the pool breathe and take a close look at the blanket for algae.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Tks for the quick reply. I will now run pump 24 hrs. As for the solar blanket, it was brand new and never used before. Blanket coming off also.
    27' AG Vogue pool with vinyl liner and metal shell 18,500 gallons 4 ft deep
    1.5 hp Pentair pump
    Pentair Sand Dollar High Rate Sand Filter
    Hasa pool liquidator with 3/8" upgrade
    TF 100 test kit w/ Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

That's good. At least it shouldn't have any algae, but still good to let the water breathe and not interfere with oxidation. Good luck on the SLAM and have a nice day/weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!