Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Automation with Pentair Pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Automation with Pentair Pump?

Hello everyone! I am a new pool owner and having a Hayward automation system with Aqua Connect installed next week. I currently have a Hayward Ecostart pump but was wondering if and when the Hayward pump is out of warranty and the time comes when I need to change the pump, can I install a Pentair brand pump and still use the Hayward automation system to control it? We will be installing the Hayward AquaPlus with SWG and Aqua Connect to remotely control it from a Smartphone.

I have contemplated waiting on automation but for $1500 I am getting the AquaPlus with SWGC and the Aqua Connect system, and that price includes everything, even installation, so I doubt I will ever find a deal like this again. We were originally going to move wait until we had to change out the pump and then move to a Pentair pump and automation system.

Any idea if we can use the Pentair pump with the Hayward automation in the future?
    Build in progress, started 3/29/16 (see it here) - Buckeye, AZ - 11K gallons, Shotcrete, IG, 15' X 27' free-form play pool, pebble sheen blue surf, solar heat with solar powered DC pump and battery, Hayward Ecostar VS pump and C3030 filter, AquaPlus SWG with Aqua Connect automation, 2X Hayward LED lights.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Automation with Pentair Pump?

Any automation should handle any brand single or two-speed pump. Variable speed pumps typically integrate better with same brand automation.
    - Matrioux

2007 18K pebble IG pool - Wincor Pool Systems automation & SWG (under development) - DE Jandy DEL60 Filter - Jandy 1HP Pump - TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. No issues with any brand single or 2-speed pump. But, you would need to stick with the Hayward EcoStar right now to integrate a VS pump. Hopefully soon some of the smaller VS pump with start to have the control ports (Pentair added some ability with the Superflo VS I think ... but need Pentair automation).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, Pentair VS pumps can be controlled by relays in your automation system.

The Superflo, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001, can have 3 preset speeds (you pick the speed) controlled by external relays in any automation system.

The Intelliflo, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018, can have 4 speeds controlled by relays by adding the Intellicomm, Pentair IntelliCom 2 Interface Protocol Adapter 521109 | Pentair 521109
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

"The Superflo, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001, can have 3 preset speeds (you pick the speed) controlled by external relays in any automation system."

Pdv, are you saying that in order to control to operate the Pentair VSP pump at 3 diff preset speeds, that 3 diff aux relays will be required, [one for ea speed] or can one aux port run all three speeds [how]? if the former, that sure would consume a lot of your potential automation expansion slots. If so, I would just examine the costs/benefits of sticking w the same brand VSP and use the resident software to control the pump. One the other hand, how many pool users actually change or modify the speeds of their VSP on a reg basis, which indeed would require the same brand of both pump and controller?

I doubt anytime soon we are going to have an open systems architecture to allowing plug-in-play btw all diff brands. Talk about a warranty finger pointing nightmare...
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, you would need 3 relays
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep, 3 relays, 1 for each speed. Plug n play between mfg? HA! We haven't even gotten to the point of plug n play between pieces of equipment from the same manufacturer! LOL!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Photo of New Pentair Jandy Hayward plug and play universal automation for Pools
    Telephone_exchange_Montreal_QE3_33.jpg
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall