Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plranger: troubled and confused

1. Back To Top    #1

Plranger: troubled and confused

i just purchased a new liner for a old pool (above ground) last year. Now I need to replace my pool. The problem is the hole for the skimmer are not the same size. What are the odds of me being able to successfully patch the hole? thanks Phil

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plranger: troubled and confused

Welcome to TFP!

I'm a little confused by your post as well. You're wanting to use the liner you purchased for your old pool on a new pool? Is it possible to use the skimmer from the old pool with your new set up?

If you could fill out your signature with details about your pool, that would help. Edit Signature
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

No the old pool is 11 years old and in that time they seem to have gone from a square skimmer to a rectangle. The holes in the pool wall are cut into them from factory. I have talked to several people and get completely different answers.
    27 ft above ground pool with salt water, the pool is 11 years old. the liner is a year old, I added the salt system 3 years ago. the company that made the pool has been out of business.

4. Back To Top    #4

What they've gone to is referred to as a "wide mouth" skimmer.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

has anyone tried to patch a hole in the liner
    that big with any success? the size of the square skimmer hole
    27 ft above ground pool with salt water, the pool is 11 years old. the liner is a year old, I added the salt system 3 years ago. the company that made the pool has been out of business.

6. Back To Top    #6

So your pool has a square skimmer, but the liner has a rectangular hole?

Could you change to the wide mouth skimmer?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome. Pictures would help a lot.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

The holes in the pool are precut for the skimmer that comes with the pool. thanks for the response. i didn't know the question was complicated. i have seen patch kits for sale, but I also have had people tell me that you can't patch a hole that big successfully.

9. Back To Top    #9

Question isn't really complicated, we just are not understanding exactly what you want to do. Pictures would certainly help.

Reading the above it appears that your liner came with the wide (rectangular) holes, but you pool has the old square holes (taller but less wide?). Can you give us the dimensions of the liner holes and pool holes so we can understand exactly how much patching would need to be done? How many skimmers need to be patched?

Is it too late to return the liner and order the one with the correct skimmer holes?
    Would it be easier to replace the skimmers with the correct style as opposed to patching the liner?
    - Matrioux

2007 18K pebble IG pool - Wincor Pool Systems automation & SWG (under development) - DE Jandy DEL60 Filter - Jandy 1HP Pump - TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Is it a metal side pool, could you cut the wide skimmer out of the pool to match the liner.. the wide mouth skimmer gives better skimming action
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

Are you trying to use an old liner that you bought last year and installed in your old pool in a new pool?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter