Lot of work to do...

Raptor6408

Gold Supporter
Apr 24, 2016
Lincolnshire, IL
Ok, just got my test kit, did my first round of testing. I have a disgusting murky green pool that I need to clear. First numbers are as follows:

ph 8.0
TC: 5.5 ppm
FC: 1 ppm
CC: 4.5 PPM
CH: 150
TA: 180
CYA: Couldn't get the dot to disappear, which was weird because it was pretty high last year (owing to a bucket of tricolor that I dumped in my pool).

Where to start??? I don't have stabilizer right now, but I do have trichlor. Can I use that to raise my stabilizer level and increase my chlorine?

First, welcome to TFP!

Your sudden CYA drop along with your high CC number tells me you have ammonia. It sometimes happens when a bacteria gets in the water and consumes the CYA and converts it to ammonia. Before you add any stabilizer or stabilized chlorine (like trichlor) you need to get rid of that. The procedure for that is as follows:

1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

Adjust pH first, then use bleach to check for/ neutralize any ammonia you may have the way Donldson posted.

You can certainly use the trichlor to raise CYA later on, but don't use it right now. If you do have the bacteria that converts CYA into ammonia, you don't want to feed it more. You want it to die, just like the algae.

Next question, when I'm doing the FAS/DPD test and am testing for FC the solution goes clear for a second and then comes back pink. Do I keep going or stop at that point.
If it goes clear and comes right back to pink in a second or two with swirling, keep going.

If it goes clear and stays that way for more than a few seconds, you're done. It's not uncommon that the sample will change back to pink after sitting a while when you've finished the test and moved on to check something else. Ignore that one.

OK day 2. Not much progress to look at the thing, but some good testing news:

FC 10
TC 11
TA 140
CH 150
PH 7.2
CYA: 30

I went at it pretty aggressively until late last night, then added a bunch of extra bleach to try to stay ahead. This morning, the FC had held up ok, so i added some dichlor to get the FC back up and I needed enough to get my stabilizer up to around 30, so that worked out conveniently. Went to work and came home, FC was getting pretty low but I was able to raise it back up about an hour ago and this was my most recent test. Just added enough chlorine to get back to 12, got my Polaris started and have been aggressively brushing/skimming as time allows. Testing is getting a little easier, I think and with the weekend ahead of me, hoping I can get ahead of the algae once and for all.

ETA: I was able to finally get the dot to disappear and given how much dichlor I added this morning, Pool Math told me right where it should be and it was, so that made me feel pretty good given how hard the CYA test is to read. Also, one question, seeing a lot of foam in the pool now. Does that mean anything?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK day 2. Not much progress to look at the thing, but some good testing news:

FC 10
TC 11
TA 140
CH 150
PH 7.2
CYA: 30

I went at it pretty aggressively until late last night, then added a bunch of extra bleach to try to stay ahead. This morning, the FC had held up ok, so i added some dichlor to get the FC back up and I needed enough to get my stabilizer up to around 30, so that worked out conveniently. Went to work and came home, FC was getting pretty low but I was able to raise it back up about an hour ago and this was my most recent test. Just added enough chlorine to get back to 12, got my Polaris started and have been aggressively brushing/skimming as time allows. Testing is getting a little easier, I think and with the weekend ahead of me, hoping I can get ahead of the algae once and for all.

ETA: I was able to finally get the dot to disappear and given how much dichlor I added this morning, Pool Math told me right where it should be and it was, so that made me feel pretty good given how hard the CYA test is to read. Also, one question, seeing a lot of foam in the pool now. Does that mean anything?
Foam is common if you're SLAMming a swamp. Nothing to worry about.

Now you know your CYA, don't bother testing anything but FC & CC until you pass the three tests.

You are doing it the RIGHT way! Hit hard and often to break the ammonia's hold on the water!

Make sure to take pics looking down at your steps so you can SEE the progress in the pics. Your eyes will not be able to see it day to day. Share the pics with us and we LOVE to watch them turn!

Kim :cat:

I went at it pretty aggressively until late last night, then added a bunch of extra bleach to try to stay ahead.
For future reference, when your CYA is zero it is a bad idea to go above 10 FC. With nothing to buffer the FC you risk bleaching your liner. Nothing you can do now and it is likely to be fine, but worth noting for the future.

There can be some foaming in swampy pools, but also make sure you are buying plain, unscented bleach. You don't want anything extra in your bleach as that can also cause foaming. It won't hurt anything, but it is annoying and may slow down the slam process a little.

Day 3:

So I have the whole day today which is great. Allowing me to do hourly checks. I'm able to keep the FC up at 12 or slightly above on an hourly basis, but I'm still losing 3-4 ppm of FC per hour. Is that common this far into the process? I have been seeing the pressure reading rising lately in my filter, which it wasn't before, so I'm taking that as a good sign that it is filtering something, but I guess I just had expected on Day 3 to be having a more significant reduction in chlorine erosion.

Day 3:

So I have the whole day today which is great. Allowing me to do hourly checks. I'm able to keep the FC up at 12 or slightly above on an hourly basis, but I'm still losing 3-4 ppm of FC per hour. Is that common this far into the process? I have been seeing the pressure reading rising lately in my filter, which it wasn't before, so I'm taking that as a good sign that it is filtering something, but I guess I just had expected on Day 3 to be having a more significant reduction in chlorine erosion.
Your first day was mostly neutralizing ammonia, wasn't it?

About all I can suggest is to vacuum blind and load up the filter good and then backwash it. Anything organic - leaves, twigs, dead insects, whatever - is going to deplete the FC before it can work on the algae.

The color is getting duller, or turning grey yet?

You are getting it! The rise in pressure tells you that the stuff is being killed AND filtered out of the water!

What does your water look like? Have you been taking pictures each day?

Make sure to brush the pool as well.

Kim:cat:

Ok. It is really cold and rainy, but I have been running and emptying the polaris which at first came up with a ton of stuff and now, not so much. I'm also brushing and skimming frequently (just did it again, so I'm soaked and freezing but....). Nothing to do now but keep after it. Picture from today compared to yesterday, not noticeably different, but maybe the color is dulling a bit. Hard to say given the change in weather...

Day 4:

Turning the corner? FC levels are holding somewhat more strongly. Losing .5-1 ppm/hr now. CC is still around 2. I've backwashed a couple of times in the last 24 hours and i am aggressively brushing/skimming and keeping the Polaris running 24/7 along with the pump. Still hoped to see more obvious visual improvement, but pictures are showing slight clarity improvements. Color is still sort of off, but hopefully we are heading in the right direction still....

NOW you are in the worse stage of all. It is SO hard to SEE the change without pictures and with it being cloudy you will have a harder time seeing it.

Poor thing! I bet you were freezing! Can't say you are not giving it your all! It will be worth it in the end AND you will never have to do it again if you keep on top of it from now on.

Once you get clear I have a schedule to share with you.

:hug: you are winning!

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.