Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Couple of new guy questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Couple of new guy questions

Hello TFP! A little background on my pool situation. I bought my house out of foreclosure last year this time with the bonus of a beautiful vinyl swamp in the back yard. I did the typical pool store thing last year. Was able to get the pool clear for all of last summer but I knew something wasn't "right". The water was harsh for lack of a better word. Last fall I went out of town for a week and came back to algae. I made the not so good decision to just let it go for winter. I found this website around that time and have probably read ever article and thread many times over. I got my TF100 on Monday and started the process of killing my frog pond. I'm making pretty good progress although I struggled with the CYA test until this afternoon. I was reading indoors and thought I had CYA of 30. Read it outside today and its 60. So using pool math I'm upping my FC to 24 and hopefully that will speed up progress. Anyway, I realized by reading another thread today that my skimmer has no weir. Found the part number of Hayward SP1085. I'm guessing I can google search that to find the correct part to order? Also, the ring that holds my skimmer basket in is broken. I can piece it together to hold the basket in place but I have to do it everytime I empty the basket. What is that part called so I can search it and order a new one. Sorry for being so long winded. I love this site and once I get my pool right i'm converting my Moms over to the TFP method.
    IG vinyl liner, 26,000 gallon, Heyward sand filter with 1.5 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Couple of new guy questions

Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you are off to a great start

Glad you got the CYA figured out, with the now appropriate FC level for the SLAM the process should move right along.

Here is the manual I found for your skimmer, https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/man...P1084-1085.pdf
    Looks like you want part #SPX1082K for the weir, or add a suffix if yours is not white.

I am not sure what you are referring to for the "ring that holds the skimmer basket in" My basket just sits in the hole, and I add a rock to keep it from floating.

Hopefully your mom will also "see the light" ... My in-laws have thus far refused to believe what I have told them and continue to pay to have a pool service and often have a green pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't you just love it! You will have such an easier time this summer once you get the algae gone!

If you have really been reading then you know how much we LOVE pictures! Got any to share?? LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It is dark now but I will take some tomorrow. I wish I had taken some last week....the frogs would have posed for me I'm sure.

And good news my parents fired the pool store boys this afternoon and she ordered her test kit! Got another convert!

5. Back To Top    #5

NO WAY! Oh happy day! SWEET! Go mom! You are going to love it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Found the "ring" I was looking for . It is a Basket Support Ring. Part number Hayward 1082D.