Couple of new guy questions

Apr 26, 2016
Anderson, SC
Hello TFP! A little background on my pool situation. I bought my house out of foreclosure last year this time with the bonus of a beautiful vinyl swamp in the back yard. I did the typical pool store thing last year. Was able to get the pool clear for all of last summer but I knew something wasn't "right". The water was harsh for lack of a better word. Last fall I went out of town for a week and came back to algae. I made the not so good decision to just let it go for winter. I found this website around that time and have probably read ever article and thread many times over. I got my TF100 on Monday and started the process of killing my frog pond. I'm making pretty good progress although I struggled with the CYA test until this afternoon. I was reading indoors and thought I had CYA of 30. Read it outside today and its 60. So using pool math I'm upping my FC to 24 and hopefully that will speed up progress. Anyway, I realized by reading another thread today that my skimmer has no weir. Found the part number of Hayward SP1085. I'm guessing I can google search that to find the correct part to order? Also, the ring that holds my skimmer basket in is broken. I can piece it together to hold the basket in place but I have to do it everytime I empty the basket. What is that part called so I can search it and order a new one. Sorry for being so long winded. I love this site and once I get my pool right i'm converting my Moms over to the TFP method.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you are off to a great start :goodjob:

Glad you got the CYA figured out, with the now appropriate FC level for the SLAM the process should move right along.

Here is the manual I found for your skimmer, https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Series-Auto-Skim-SP1084-1085.pdf
Looks like you want part #SPX1082K for the weir, or add a suffix if yours is not white.

I am not sure what you are referring to for the "ring that holds the skimmer basket in" :scratch: My basket just sits in the hole, and I add a rock to keep it from floating.

Hopefully your mom will also "see the light" ... My in-laws have thus far refused to believe what I have told them and continue to pay to have a pool service and often have a green pool :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.