Can't figure out what this is in my pool water?

RTL

Aug 2, 2015
Spartanburg, SC
Numbers first:
FC: 7 After a 3 day SLAM with a 0 on the OCLT
CC: .5
pH: 7.4
TA: 70
CH:70
CYA: 70

My water is crystal clear except for some small white/clear flaky stuff on the surface. It doesn't look like the pics I've seen of white water mold but I've been seeing it for a week or so. It's almost crystal like but when I try to grab it it breaks apart into smaller pieces. I've got some great pics but am unsure of how to upload them. Can someone please help me with that? I'm sure someone has experienced this before and it would probably be obvious to them after seeing the pics as to what I'm dealing with.

I just cleaned my filter and all i noticed were a ton of Springtail looking bugs on it that had been caught in the filter. I will start it up again......once I receive a new drain plug since I cracked the old one trying to screw it to tightly....smh.

Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, you can try going to the bottom of your quick reply post where it says “Go Advanced”, and then down to where it says “Manage Attachments”. It may let you upload them that way. They may show-up large because you can't adjust the size of the attachment, but it may work.

I have the same stuff in my pool. I really think it is some type of pollen. I have been using a sock filter in the skimmer and rinsing every 24 hours. It is a yellowish orange color once it is caught and accumulated in the sock filter.

Ok....I had to do some travelling so I apologize for the delay. I'm going to try to share a link to my Photobucket album with the pics in it. We'll see how this goes.

The 6 pics include closeups as well as 2 showing the flakes collected and dumped out on the concrete. Capstone, is this the yellowish orange color stuff you were referring to? It dries to a soft almost carpet like fuzz. Unfortunately, when I left home my pool was almost covered in this stuff due to my pump being off. Would this be a good indicator that at least this stuff isn't something coming out of my return lines?

Thanks to anyone who can help in advance. It's really frustrating to have your pool ready to go and just waiting for the weather to warm up ......and all of a sudden get hit with a problem you can't figure out. This will be our first full season with the pool so I hope to get this cleared up ASAP.

HeikeJohn - really have no idea what kinds of trees are in my neighborhood. The closest trees are on a lot next to mine that has not been cleared out. When i get back home I'll try to figure out if any Cottonwoods are nearby.

Kimkats - I hope you're right. I guess it could be worse though! Well see what it looks like when I return home tomorrow. I should be able to get my pump up and running again and I think I may invest in a skimmer sock. Is that something the pool store should have or can I make my own?

I appreciate both of your responses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to everyone who has replied since my last post. I returned home on Sunday evening to find my pool almost clear of the floating debris that it was almost covered with when I left on Friday. I could tell that a lot of it had settled to the bottom because it had the same yellowish appearance as the debris in my last two pictures. However, when I came home from work on Monday I found that more was in the pool. It rained for a large part of the day on Sunday so I'm wondering if that played a role in clearing it up a bit. My pump was off from Friday until Monday evening so I know it wasn't my filter that cleaned it up. I'm pretty confident at this point that it is something blowing into the pool (pollen) thanks to all of the help that you all have given me. I ran my robot last night and cleaned up all of the settled debris and sure enough it was the same stuff I scooped out with the net (last two pictures). I guess I'll just have to wait this out, get a skimmer sock, and keep the filter running. I'm assuming since it's probably pollen its safe to swim in but it just feels weird. Ever since I found this website my pool has been crystal clear and that's the only way I've ever used it.....but it's getting hot! I'll probably give it another week or so but after that I'm going in lol!

I followed both of kimkat's suggestions and got the skimmer socks from Lowes to use temporarily and I ordered the hair nets that she linked. I will use the skimmer sock until it's no longer usable and then switch to the hair nets since they are disposable. Thanks for the pics FloridaPoolGal especially the one showing how to use the hair nets on a leaf rake.....pretty neat idea. Thanks again to all of you!

I've used the "sock" ones from Lowe's and also got the ones from the link Kim posted (thank you for that by the way - they're great)

Yes, you can definitely wash the ones from Lowe's. I prefer the hair net though.

I have this same crud in my pool. It grosses me out too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.