Chlorine usage increase

Mar 16, 2014
Plano, TX
Hi all! Just curious about chlorine usage. Im still new and been doing chemicals since January. When I started I had to add almost no chlorine and I expected it to increase with Texas sun. I'm currently aiming at 4.0 ppm and I added 1 gallon 3 days ago and today I tested .5 ppm. Water temp is about 77 degrees, outside temps have been hitting upper 80's with plenty of sun. Pool isn't exposed to a lot of sun, but some late am and early afternoon about 5-6 hours. Normal? Pool is approx 25k gallons.

You're doing well to show any FC at this point, but it's very low right now. Most of us lose about 2-4 ppm per day when our pool is chugging-along well & healthy. Not sure what your CYA is, but refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below) and make sure to maintain that FC target based on you current CYA before algae tries to settle in. It won't take long now that our temps are creeping up. Hope that helps.

Remember, a pool needs to be fed its diet of chlorine daily, not every few days. That is why so many of us have automated chlorine delivery with things like salt water chlorine generators, Stenner pumps and liquidators.

A CYA of 40 requires a target FC of 5, never lower than 3. If you ever see algae (green or cloudiness) you will need to SLAM (link below) which would require an FC level of 16 until the SLAM is completed. So you can see that it's very important to keep that FC at the daily target range. Definitely check FC daily, and quite possible pH if you haven't done that lately. A lot of this is emphasized in the Pool School section (link below). Hope that helps.

When you get a chance, along with the "light reading" we've suggested, make sure to add your pool info to the bottom of your signature. You can do this by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Have a nice evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.