Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken pressure gauge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken pressure gauge?

I found my sand filter pressure gauge reading 40 psi when i went to open the pool after the winter.

It was just stuck there at 40. In the past it would be at 20 psi after a back wash and 30 psi when the filter was dirty.

I decided to go ahead and still open the pool and buy a replacement the next time I am at the local pool store.

After opening the pool the gauge now reads 60 when the pump is running and 40 when it's off.

Do you guys think that the gauge is broken or is there a way to reset it so that it drops back down to 0 when the system is off and not pressurized?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    15K Gallons, IG, Vinyl, 1HP Single Speed Pump, Sand, SWG, NG Heater + Solar Panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broken pressure gauge?

Not sure there's a good fix other than a really big hammer You know you can always order a really nice one from TFTestkits.com (same as TF-100 link below) for about $12. Nice glycerin-filled, top or side mount. Just a thought.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The gauge is broken. I would not recommend tapping it with a hammer since they are threaded to screw into the filter. You can order the nice one Pat mentioned or you can go to your local hardware store and pick one up. You just need to know the correct diameter for the threaded post. If you get it from a pool store it will cost about $5 more.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Not sure there's a good fix other than a really big hammer You know you can always order a really nice one from TFTestkits.com (same as TF-100 link below) for about $12. Nice glycerin-filled, top or side mount. Just a thought.
    I would love to get the gauge from TFTTestkits.com, but unfortunately they don't ship to Canada.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    15K Gallons, IG, Vinyl, 1HP Single Speed Pump, Sand, SWG, NG Heater + Solar Panels

5. Back To Top    #5

I would not recommend tapping it with a hammer since they are threaded to screw into the filter.
    I wasn't recommending tapping, I meant a full-blown sledgehammer. Kidding of course. Well, definitely a local replacement then. Good luck! Once you get the old one off ... then get the sledgehammer.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by g5marek View Post
    I would love to get the gauge from TFTTestkits.com, but unfortunately they don't ship to Canada.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    You can order glycerin filled gauges on Amazon.

Winters PFQ Series Stainless Steel 304 Dual Scale Liquid Filled Pressure Gauge with Brass Internals, 0-30 psi/kpa, 2 Scientific

They have both bottom and side mount. More expensive that TFTestkits but you're in Canada so....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates