Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about pre plaster clean

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about pre plaster clean

I've got a crew working on pre-plaster clean, and I want to know how clean it should be. All of the mortars chunks from tile that dropped to side of pool
    Should be gone?

This crew was going to leave some nails and loose gravel in the bottom of the shell and I made them fix that. Now, they pulled all of the equipment back off the truck and are working again. Using muriatic acid and a power washer to get the stuff off.

I just want to gauge how much they do at this stage.
    Water in, we're swimming! IG 18x29 gunite, 3.5-6.5 depth, 14,000 gallons approx, 1 skimmer, Hayward 4030 cartridge filter, Hayward Tristar VSP, 20 ft. raised bond beam with sprayers, 40 sq ft sunshelf with 2 bubblers, 7 ft round attached spa, Hayward 250k heater, quartz plaster, travertine coping, approx 800 sq feet acrylic deck

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about pre plaster clean

Yes, all of that needs to be swept up and out of the pool. Plaster is only about half an inch thick. I don't know if the plaster guys usually do that or the clean up crew or both.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Ours was done by the clean up crew a few times, scraping with heavy steal poles with a blade at the end, then washed down and the water shop vac-ed out. I watered the gunite lightly a couple of times the night before and the plaster guys wet the gunite well one last time and did one last shop vac.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. I think the pre clean crew was trying to rush through it, knowing that plaster crew would then have to do what they didn't.

I'm pretty livid about that, as well as the fact that they dumped all of the shop vac water on the patio furniture? Why some subs have zero regard for personal property is beyond me.

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh no they dumped that dirty water on your patio furniture! That is not cool.

I will have to keep an eye and make sure someone cleans up well before plaster too. Do you have a date scheduled?
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

No date for plaster yet, but it should be next week.

My husband is home meeting with our build manager to go over some of the things that went sideways with that crew.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Hooefull the water on the furniture wasn't because you asked them to do their job! But it probably was.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Build manager was extremely apologetic and also mad about the job that was done. We are scheduled for plaster on Tuesday, and he will be on site that day, as well as when they re-do all of the re-clean on the yard, which they will do after plaster is done. He said it was completely unacceptable, and they will make it right. The water poured over the furniture really ticked him off.

Thanks again for all of the help!

9. Back To Top    #9

Make sure it is cleaned the day they plaster. I didn't trust my plaster crew, so I scraped and pressure washed the shell myself. I even acid etched it. They plaster guys said I went overboard, but peace of mind was worth it.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.