Kathe

Jun 1, 2015
Saline, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My CC is at 1 and I was told to add a non-chlorine shock oxidizer called "shock and swim." How serious is a high cc? I have noticed that the FC is going fast. My CYA is at 30. My pH and TA are fine. Water is clear.
I have a little bit of muck at bottom of pool that I haven't vacuumed out yet. Water is too cold to get into. If I use the oxidizer, will that help with the FC?

Here at TFP, a CC over .5 is alarming. That along with your FC loss would indicate algae forming. We perform what is called SLAM (link below) to remove algae from a pool. Oxidizer won't work. You need to use regular household bleach in applications based on your current CYA - in your case you need an FC of 12 to be maintained 24/7 as noted on the SLAM page. You'll need the right test kit (TF-100 link below) as well to perform the SLAM properly. Take a look at our Pool School and SLAM pages for details.

Hope this helps.

My CC is at 1 and I was told to add a non-chlorine shock oxidizer called "shock and swim." How serious is a high cc? I have noticed that the FC is going fast. My CYA is at 30. My pH and TA are fine. Water is clear.
I have a little bit of muck at bottom of pool that I haven't vacuumed out yet. Water is too cold to get into. If I use the oxidizer, will that help with the FC?
If you added the non-chlorine oxidizer at all before you tested, it could be giving you the CC reading.

https://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=24

If you have debris in the pool and you're using a lot of FC -- more than 3 FC per day -- and you have high CC, then you need to SLAM using bleach. Once you start using that other "shock" you won't be able to know if the CC is eliminated or if it's interference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.