Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hot tub water level suddenly drops for no reason.

1. Back To Top    #1

Hot tub water level suddenly drops for no reason.

I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

I'm having an issue where seemingly out of no where, my hot tub water level will drop lower than the water level of the pool.
    For instance, just now, water levels were even between the pool and hot tub. I backwashed the pool and the only valve I messed with was the backwash plunger. After that, I returned the pump to normal and noticed a drop in the hot tub water level. Keep in mind, this is not the only instance where this will happen. It also happens after other random times when I'm adjusting a valve or maybe even just turning the pumps off an on.
    18,000 gallon, inground pool/hot tub, Pentair FNS Plus 48, Pebble Tec coating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hot tub water level suddenly drops for no reason.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You may have a faulty backflow valve.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Three years until your first post! See you again in 2019!

Add your pool info to your sig, something might be helpful diagnosing this problem. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Are they at the same level normally? If not, it could be a bad check valve. If yes, then a valve might be leaking, sticking or not fully opening or closing each time.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking it had something to do with one of the Jandy valves.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! I've been a lurker for a while, but I think I'm here for good now. After 8 years of owning my pooI finally kicked my pool guy to the curb.

Yes, most of the time the pool and hot tub are the same level, until this weird thing happens.
    18,000 gallon, inground pool/hot tub, Pentair FNS Plus 48, Pebble Tec coating

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Do you have an automation system? Bad valve actuator possibly?

If you have a bad check valve, they typically only drain to the level of the pool, and only while the pump is off.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source