Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rough plumbing pressurized with one joint that has a drip leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Rough plumbing pressurized with one joint that has a drip leak

Hi All,

Our rough plumbing has been completed and we passed inspection but are preparing for shotcrete this weekend. One thing I noticed was on the spa drain pipe one of the joints has a small drip that is leaking. It's not too bad but should the plumber fix this or is it common to have a small drip leak here and there?

Lastly, our skimmer placement is near our steps (I believe it was placed there because of the prevailing wind) but is that a bad place for a skimmer?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rough plumbing pressurized with one joint that has a drip leak

Please add your state to your location in your profile so that it show up over there <-----, climate is an important factor when we help you with your pool.

They should definitely fix the leak. Skimmer by the stairs is fine, it is good for it to be opposite of the prevailing wind.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I would expect/demand zero leaks on the plumbing. Is the joint still under pressure or just leaking on its own? Skimmer - If it is there for the prevailing wind, it may the only place its useful and should stay but others will chime in.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

It's still under pressure. I measured the drip and it's about 4oz per hour (a gallon every 32 hours). Am I just being picky? Considering the average family of four uses 400 gallons of water it doesn't *seem* too bad.

Good to know on the skimmer. I think we're going to use one of the PourALid products to better conceal it into the decking.

Thanks for the responses!

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool plumbing leaks are a huge hassle and create all sorts of equipment problems. 0 leak tolerance is expected. You are not being picky. They should not even question fixing it and I expect they will fix it no questions asked.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the responses. They did come out and fix the leak no problem!

7. Back To Top    #7

Very good choice! Hope all continues progressing well.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100