Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump or motor dead?

1. Back To Top    #1

pump or motor dead?

I just realized today that my pump hasn't been running the last few days. What I can hear is a click sound like the motor try to start but it get shut off immediately. Looks like I need a new motor. How do I know which motor if compatible with what I have?

Brand: Emerson
    Model R63CXDRS-250
    Volts: 208-230
    HZ 60
    SF.AMPS 13.4-12.0/3.8-4 PH1

Other # 2.70/.33 THP: 2.5/.30 MRHP/1.10 SF

From what I know, I need one with 1 HP, am I right?
    Inground Plaster Pool, Cartridge Filter, Dolphin PRIMALX3, Hayward H400 Heater, Hayward Pump SPX3220X25Z2PE, 17500 Gallons with Spill Over Spa, Non-SWG, Sugar Land (Houston), TX 77478 USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump or motor dead?

What do you mean it gets shut off immediately? Does the breaker trip or what happens? How does it come back on?
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

3. Back To Top    #3

There may be something stuck in the pump impeller or it could be as simple as a bad capacitor. If you are not experienced at pumps and troubleshooting you may want to call an independent pool store. I suspect that they will be happy to come out and troubleshoot your pump.. Call a couple and see which one has the better price and makes you feel most conformable. Much less expensive than a new pump.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

[QUOTE=Thinkly;1005123]What do you mean it gets shut off immediately? Does the breaker trip or what happens? How does it come back on?[/QUOTE
    It runs on timer so I can hear a click sounds that it tried to turn on but never get started. I manually tried to get it running and it makes the same sound. Should I take it out to check for problem? The motor has been running fine for the last 7 years. I don't mind replacing it but just want to make sure if the it is the problem. If I need a new pump, what is the most important spec that I need to look at to make sure it is compatible with my pump. For now, I think my pump is 1 HP, is that the only thing I need to look for?
    Inground Plaster Pool, Cartridge Filter, Dolphin PRIMALX3, Hayward H400 Heater, Hayward Pump SPX3220X25Z2PE, 17500 Gallons with Spill Over Spa, Non-SWG, Sugar Land (Houston), TX 77478 USA

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    There may be something stuck in the pump impeller or it could be as simple as a bad capacitor. If you are not experienced at pumps and troubleshooting you may want to call an independent pool store. I suspect that they will be happy to come out and troubleshoot your pump.. Call a couple and see which one has the better price and makes you feel most conformable. Much less expensive than a new pump.
    Sorry, I think it is the Motor, that is that one making the click sound and shuts off. I think I just need a new Motor as that is what it sounds like. Also do you know if the following kits will work with my pump?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...B1070GG02HPVT1

As I am replacing the motor, I might as well replace the seals or should I just wait? TIA.

6. Back To Top    #6

so I tried to start the pump today and I hear the humming sound but then it shuts down completely, the motor never gets going. do you think it's a capacitor or motor that need to be replaced?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    I decided to take the motor out for service, before I show it to Leslie Pool, how do I know which motor is compatible with my pump? Attached is my current motor.
    Attachment 47297

Got a quote from Leslie Pool:
    Highspeed is not working but low speed seems to be ok. A replacement with the following will cost about $450:
    - Motor (single speed), 2 speed not instock and don't have a price until Monday
    - Diffuser
    - Shaft Seal
    - Impeller Ring
    Is the price reasonable?