Anchoring Umbrellas - Do the In-Ground Concrete bases work well?

Mar 23, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
My stamped/stained concrete pool deck is being poured in a week and I live in a windy area in Middle TN. After reading some horror stories about umbrellas being blown into the pool and damaging vinyl liners I am thinking about installing umbrella anchors into my pool deck, seems like a good solution. I read about some folks using PVC pipe, but I am concerned the wind would lift the umbrella out.

Anyone have recommendations on the best anchors? I found this gadget but it is $140. :confused:
http://www.umbrellasource.com/product/camlock-umbrella-stand

Thanks in advance!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If it has no been poured yet, then I would have some anchors embedded in the concrete in areas where you think you may want an umbrella. You may need to effectively make a deeper footer in those areas to avoid cracking the deck if the wind blows the umbrellas around (although I might be thinking over cautiously).

We have stamped concrete as well and had 3 of these installed Amazon.com : Waterway Plastics 540-6700 Volleyball Pole Holder White : Patio, Lawn Garden
Didnt have the concern of wind blowing the umbrellas, as we figured if it gets too windy they would be taken down and stored. Our concern was deck space that the anchors would have taken up. They look great and are hardly noticeable, as for functionality that will need to wait until we get sun here.

We have stamped concrete as well and had 3 of these installed Amazon.com : Waterway Plastics 540-6700 Volleyball Pole Holder White : Patio, Lawn Garden
Didnt have the concern of wind blowing the umbrellas, as we figured if it gets too windy they would be taken down and stored. Our concern was deck space that the anchors would have taken up. They look great and are hardly noticeable, as for functionality that will need to wait until we get sun here.

I have one of those in the baja shelf in the pool love it. We live in a windy area but as stated above when it gets too bad we take the umbrella down. If you are going to be leaving them down but in the sleeve I would think some wood shims could be made that would help

I've watched a gust pop my closed umbrella open and pluck it out of the deck holder. Now any time I leave one in a holder it's not only closed but has a bungee cord around it to prevent the wind from opening it. Before we had the wind blow one over a wall, and my neighbor had his blown up onto his roof, but with the bungee, we haven't had a problem yet.

Poeple don't realize the only thing keeping a market umbrella closed is gravity. A gust pops it open and it's gone. Keep it from opening...problem solved.

Reactions: Dalancas
Kaya--
I fought with replacing umbrellas several times a year due to them being blown over or out of metal stands until I came up with a variation of something I saw on DIY TV...
I bought several medium size colored plastic planters from Lowes for less than $10 each, cut a 18"section of 2" PVC (or whatever size fits your poles tightly) and 4 or 5 bags of Sakrete.
Fill the planters about 1/2 way full of sakrete, sink the pvc into the concrete, and let it set up 3-4 hrs. Once its set up, put your umbrella into the PVC, and drill a small hole all the way through PVC and 'brella pole. Insert a small 2 1/2" stainless bolt through the hole and put a nut on it.

Once complete, they weigh over 50 lbs, so they are almost impossible to tip over, will not blow out w the bolt in, and look great if you get assorted colors to match your pool furniture--
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=605917-77374-462124-1001

I just connected it right to the concrete :) bought this one from lowes

OpFD6OZh.jpg

a2Zl1RIh.jpg

Iphrhiqh.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.