Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anchoring Umbrellas - Do the In-Ground Concrete bases work well?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anchoring Umbrellas - Do the In-Ground Concrete bases work well?

My stamped/stained concrete pool deck is being poured in a week and I live in a windy area in Middle TN. After reading some horror stories about umbrellas being blown into the pool and damaging vinyl liners I am thinking about installing umbrella anchors into my pool deck, seems like a good solution. I read about some folks using PVC pipe, but I am concerned the wind would lift the umbrella out.

Anyone have recommendations on the best anchors? I found this gadget but it is $140.
    http://www.umbrellasource.com/produc...umbrella-stand

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anchoring Umbrellas - Do the In-Ground Concrete bases work well?

Welcome to TFP!!!

If it has no been poured yet, then I would have some anchors embedded in the concrete in areas where you think you may want an umbrella. You may need to effectively make a deeper footer in those areas to avoid cracking the deck if the wind blows the umbrellas around (although I might be thinking over cautiously).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We have stamped concrete as well and had 3 of these installed Amazon.com : Waterway Plastics 540-6700 Volleyball Pole Holder White : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Didnt have the concern of wind blowing the umbrellas, as we figured if it gets too windy they would be taken down and stored. Our concern was deck space that the anchors would have taken up. They look great and are hardly noticeable, as for functionality that will need to wait until we get sun here.
    17'x35' IG Vinyl, Pentair SD60 Sand Filter, IC-40 SWG, 1HP Whisperflo pump, 2 Globrite LEDs with Intellibrite controller, Kreepy Krauly cleaner with 3/4 hp booster pump, Taylor K-2006 and K-1766 test kits with Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Dhall150 View Post
    We have stamped concrete as well and had 3 of these installed Amazon.com : Waterway Plastics 540-6700 Volleyball Pole Holder White : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Didnt have the concern of wind blowing the umbrellas, as we figured if it gets too windy they would be taken down and stored. Our concern was deck space that the anchors would have taken up. They look great and are hardly noticeable, as for functionality that will need to wait until we get sun here.
    I have one of those in the baja shelf in the pool love it. We live in a windy area but as stated above when it gets too bad we take the umbrella down. If you are going to be leaving them down but in the sleeve I would think some wood shims could be made that would help
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I've watched a gust pop my closed umbrella open and pluck it out of the deck holder. Now any time I leave one in a holder it's not only closed but has a bungee cord around it to prevent the wind from opening it. Before we had the wind blow one over a wall, and my neighbor had his blown up onto his roof, but with the bungee, we haven't had a problem yet.

Poeple don't realize the only thing keeping a market umbrella closed is gravity. A gust pops it open and it's gone. Keep it from opening...problem solved.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6
    cfrench

Kaya--
    I fought with replacing umbrellas several times a year due to them being blown over or out of metal stands until I came up with a variation of something I saw on DIY TV...
    I bought several medium size colored plastic planters from Lowes for less than $10 each, cut a 18"section of 2" PVC (or whatever size fits your poles tightly) and 4 or 5 bags of Sakrete.
    Fill the planters about 1/2 way full of sakrete, sink the pvc into the concrete, and let it set up 3-4 hrs. Once its set up, put your umbrella into the PVC, and drill a small hole all the way through PVC and 'brella pole. Insert a small 2 1/2" stainless bolt through the hole and put a nut on it.

Once complete, they weigh over 50 lbs, so they are almost impossible to tip over, will not blow out w the bolt in, and look great if you get assorted colors to match your pool furniture--
    http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...74-462124-1001

7. Back To Top    #7

We have used 2 of these nifty granite bases from Lowes for 4 years now. Shop Garden Treasures Yellow/Gold Granite Umbrella Base at Lowes.com. They work great. We leave our umbrellas open most of the time and they get blow over occasionally. When winds start to gust we close the umbrellas and tie them shut and have never had an issue with that.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    We have used 2 of these nifty granite bases from Lowes for 4 years now. Shop Garden Treasures Yellow/Gold Granite Umbrella Base at Lowes.com. They work great. We leave our umbrellas open most of the time and they get blow over occasionally. When winds start to gust we close the umbrellas and tie them shut and have never had an issue with that.
    We use a couple of those too. Although I do like the planter idea
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I just connected it right to the concrete bought this one from lowes

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **