Has anyone ever layer travertine coping themselves?

Jun 26, 2015
Duncan, OK
We are planning on going with travertine coping and a concrete deck. We are doing it all ourselves. Problem is, there is very little info out there on how to install travertine coping. And what I can find is contradictory. Some say it needs to be on a concrete base, others say it definitely shouldn't be on a concrete base, just crushed rock. Anyone done it and have any suggestions?

Maybe its different in different regions, or different for vinyl pools, but I thought coping was always cemented into place, whether it is travertine, flagstone, bricks, pavers, etc, since you don't want your coping to ever slide/fall into the pool. Deciding on putting travertine on a concrete base vs. crushed rock/sand is really a question for decking areas and not the coping.

Coping is always cemented to the gunite shell. When using travertine as a deck material (not coping), you have the option to either lay them on a bed of sand + compacted gravel or mortar them in place. Even with the sand / compacted method, the edges are typically mortared / glued in place so that the pavers dont shift easily and also for holding the sand underneath the pavers in place.

Are you thinking of having a continuous travertine deck from the edge of the pool?

With Oklahoma's temperature differences that will have some issues.

We can talk about them but it would probably be best if you went and got a couple of bids from some local installers and talked about how they would do it.

The major issue is that the deck will be expanding laterally into the pool and the coping glued on top of the bond beam. The pool is a big structure that does not change temperature very quickly nor does it expand or contract much. And it does not move. So the deck will expand into the travertine coping. Bad things may happen. I therefore recommend you ask how the locals deal with this. I know what I would do, but I'm in California.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.