Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Has anyone ever layer travertine coping themselves?

1. Back To Top    #1

Has anyone ever layer travertine coping themselves?

We are planning on going with travertine coping and a concrete deck. We are doing it all ourselves. Problem is, there is very little info out there on how to install travertine coping. And what I can find is contradictory. Some say it needs to be on a concrete base, others say it definitely shouldn't be on a concrete base, just crushed rock. Anyone done it and have any suggestions?
    New build, vinyl IG 18x40 3'4-9'

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Has anyone ever layer travertine coping themselves?

Maybe its different in different regions, or different for vinyl pools, but I thought coping was always cemented into place, whether it is travertine, flagstone, bricks, pavers, etc, since you don't want your coping to ever slide/fall into the pool. Deciding on putting travertine on a concrete base vs. crushed rock/sand is really a question for decking areas and not the coping.
    Owner Build. 32x16, with 6x8 raised spa. Broke ground April 1, 2016, swimming July 18. Pentair Intelliflo VS + Whisperflo for Water features; Clean & Clear Filter 420; Master Temp Heater 400k BTU; Intellibrite 120V pool and spa lights; Regular ol' plaster.

3. Back To Top    #3

Coping is always cemented to the gunite shell. When using travertine as a deck material (not coping), you have the option to either lay them on a bed of sand + compacted gravel or mortar them in place. Even with the sand / compacted method, the edges are typically mortared / glued in place so that the pavers dont shift easily and also for holding the sand underneath the pavers in place.
    Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you thinking of having a continuous travertine deck from the edge of the pool?

With Oklahoma's temperature differences that will have some issues.

We can talk about them but it would probably be best if you went and got a couple of bids from some local installers and talked about how they would do it.

The major issue is that the deck will be expanding laterally into the pool and the coping glued on top of the bond beam. The pool is a big structure that does not change temperature very quickly nor does it expand or contract much. And it does not move. So the deck will expand into the travertine coping. Bad things may happen. I therefore recommend you ask how the locals deal with this. I know what I would do, but I'm in California.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you everyone. Gwegan we are planning on just a travertine coping piece and then a concrete deck. That is what I was afraid of. Will the expansion crack not keep that from happening?