New (or soon to be!) Build - Humble, Texas

Nina03

Apr 26, 2016
Houston, Texas
Hi! I've been reading this cite for quite sometime and am now finally able to post! Signed our contract a few weeks ago and are now waiting on HOA approval to get on the dig schedule. I'm sure I'll need lots of help along the way. I'll post what I know so far (and I know I don't have as much detail as I should have being that contract signed and deposit paid, but that's why I'm coming to the experts here!). Please have patience - first pool build ever - super excited and nervous!!

Free form 40 x 18 with 8ft round raised (12 inches) spa.
31 ft. raised beam in back (12 inches) faced with ledgstone and topped with 4 deck jets
31 ft. finger ledge along beam
White satin pebble sheen (though I'm interested in adding the luminous blue glass beads)
Variable speed pump - VST-2
Rainbow 320 Ozone system - sodium tetraborate/ozone generator
400,000 BTU heater - Jandy. all other equip Pentair I believe.
pool cleaner: Racer w/ pump
beach entry - 60 sq feet with quartzite - two bubblers
golden plains quartzite coping (4 x 12)
standard waterline time
spray deck decking on new and existing patio
PB will repair grass and sprinkler (my way of hoping they have incentive to not make a huge mess!)

tried to upload the PDF of the plan, but its too big. I'll have to figure out uploads soon!

Right now just seeking general advice before we dig the hole!!

Assuming HOA responds soon and good weather - hoping for a mid-May dig.

Thanks
Nina

OH what fun! We LOVE helping spend other people's money!

Please do some searches in the search box (upper right side) to find out if you REALLY want the Ozone system (hint-nope).

So how did you talk the PB into including the grass and sprinkler in the contract?? NICE move! I like you way of thinking!

Try using photo bucket to link using the IMG code. That is what quite a few use. We LOVE pictures!

Kim:

Howdy Nina! Welcome to TFP, glad you found us :)

One thing we don't recommend is the use of Ozone/UV systems on outdoor pools. Why pay for UV when the sun is a free provider? They do have a use in indoor pools though, yet both indoor and outdoor pools will require supplemental chlorine so why bother with the device in the first place??? Pucks that contain chlorine also contain other often unwanted ingredients so we say to use them only occasionally if at all.

We promote the use of liquid chlorine (either from the pool store or using regular ole bleach from H.E.B.) or salt water generators.

Please let us help in any way we can, we're simply volunteers who love our pools and want you to love yours too!

Hi, okay thank you for the good information already!

I asked for the ozone generator because I thought it was a good alternative to SWG. My sister completed her pool build last year (she's not on TFP.. that I know of!) and she was swayed away from SWG because of corrosion etc so she got the ozone system and we've really enjoyed her pool not having that "chlorine" smell or feel. She's also not one to do a lot of things herself, but she has managed (thus far) to maintain the pool on her own with beautiful clear clean water.. I asked her if it was hard to do on her own and she said no because the ozone system has made it easy... soo.. that's why I asked for it. It seems I have some further research to do.

We met with 4 different builders. 2 really promoted salt, 1 liked the ozone, and 1 was OK with either but said they wouldn't do salt unless we signed all sorts of waivers. ...

my goal is to have a pool I'm able to manage myself and not have to pay someone weekly to come out and check it! The husband would not be happy about that extra expense!!

Thanks!

Hi Wendy! Your build is one I really enjoyed reading! Loved the beach entry for the pups! I'm excited to get this thing started and start getting some photos up! Right now I can't even figure out how to post the drawing of the pool. But I'm at work and the firewalls block most everything - so hopefully from home I'll be able to get that up. Right now I'm busy researching ozone systems! oh.. and working.

LOL "oh...and working" LOVE IT! You will fit right in around here!

We can AND will help you maintain your pool on your own. All my husband does is swim and brush the sides. Both of which I can do but he has to do something to earn his keep! LOL

Kim:cat:

image.jpg6_zpskmd7s1vz.jpg

ok- trying to see if this works. This is our current plan. If all goes well we should be on the dig schedule in the next two weeks

- - - Updated - - -

Yay! It worked! Okay, I'll post more pics once they do the layout next week. Based on research thus far we will likely ditch the ozone, and we'll only fall back on the chlorinator pucks when traveling. Once the build starts I'll welcome all comments! This website has been so educational. I'll be ordering my test kit soon and asking lots of questions along the way.

Excited to see all the builds going on right now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well - we finally have HOA approval. If the weather cooperates (and it's doubtful it will!) we may be digging on Monday. BASICALLY ALL OF MY SELECTIONS WENT OUT THE WINDOW - because the quartzite that was supposed to be the coping, ledge stone, and beach entry cannot be found at any stone yards in the state of Texas (and that's where my budget draws the line) ... So we met with the builder today and made some modifications (no more beach entry) and are back to full speed ahead. Below are some before pics and the selections and the pool drawn out in the grass (in blue so it's almost impossible to see!). Can't wait to get started!!!

image.jpg3_zpsytohcaur.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsp9puob0k.jpg

image.jpg2_zpslbu36h67.jpg

Thanks guys!

Firehunter - I showed a picture of your spa to my PB - but just got the pricing back to do that upgrade rounded top and wowza! It's beautiful, but we'll have to pass on it bc I'm trying to get my husband to agree to add the luminous beads to our pebblesheen - have to pick my budget battles!

have a great weekend!

I love the pictures of the kiddos watching from their chairs like they are the site supervisors!! My grandkids loved seeing the excavators but they had to do it from inside through the windows.

What a cute picture of the little ones peeking around the corner! You will have the best summer ever!! My only regret with our build is we didn't do it sooner. Our kids are 13 and 7-year old twins. The girls have been swimming almost every day since mid March!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.